Back Simming

alexgeo

Well, after a year long break from anything to do with airplanes, I'm back to X-Plane and I'm enjoying it big-time. I usually take year long breaks every now and then from X-Plane, just so it doesn't get old!

I discovered this website after a friend sent me a link telling me about a new website that is basically the exact opposite of the .org. The members here seem much more productive (maybe they're younger?), detail oriented, and my favorite, they don't bullshit (**some exceptions!). Also, it seems like X-Plane is beginning to become more of a "well-rounded" simulator (hi-quality systems and graphics + realistic flight models) rather than a simulator that is just focused on flight dynamics (which it was for many years prior). I like to think of it like women; beauty + brains = !!!.

Also, I'm starting to see a trend on this website where most of the products are going to be payware, but as long as the price is kept somewhat reasonable, I'll be happy to purchase anything that catches my eye. I just hope this new wave of X-Plane addons doesn't become like MSFS addons where they can cost an arm and a leg for a single plane. My philosophy is that the higher you price the aircraft, the more it's gonna be pirated and shared amongst the underground community. But I also believe in a free market, so I guess the price should really depend on the amount of work put into the actual model.

Anyways, I wish the best of luck to everyone and I can't wait until X-Plane has a long list of hi-quality addons which I wont regret buying  ;D.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

As the sim's are becoming more complex, the add-on's become more complex too. Not only that but people seem to demand a lot more from things now than they used to.

My first public plugin just became available and that's a freebie because a) Laminar Research let me use their graphics for it and :) it was my way of saying thanks to the guys (Ben and Sandy) that made the whole plugin system happen.

What did it cost me?  About 30 hours of hard work!  You also get to deal with follow-up questions, people who are new to the sim needing extra help, and the inevitable wish-list of additional features people want to see.

Although we all like stuff for free, I think it's fair for some things to go payware where it has taken a lot to create the product. I've not seen anyone (yet) push the limits, all the scenery/aircraft I've seen have been very reasonably priced and generally of a very high quality too.

That's my 2c on the subject !

Roy. (www.digital-aviation.com)