Team looking for buried Spitfires in Burma find crate

Nicola_M

Burma Spitfire hunters discover crate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20957162

"British experts looking for a cache of World War II Spitfire planes believed to be buried in Burma say they have discovered a crate.

The team has lowered a camera into the crate in the Kachin state capital Myitkyina, but says muddy water has stopped them identifying the contents.

Project leader David Cundall described the development as "very encouraging".

The team believes that more than 120 unused Spitfires could be buried in sites across Burma.

"We've gone into a box, but we have hit this water problem. It's murky water and we can't really see very far," Mr Cundall told reporters in Rangoon, Burma's main city.

"It will take some time to pump the water out... but I do expect all aircraft to be in very good condition," he added.

Mr Cundall said a survey was being carried out at the site to locate any modern-day obstacles like electricity cables. He said they hoped to begin excavating within days.

The team hopes to find about 18 Spitfires in Myitkyina, where it has been digging since last month.

It is planning further excavations at Rangoon international airport, where it believes 36 planes are buried, and in the central city of Meiktila.

Research suggests the planes were buried in near-pristine condition by US engineers as the war drew to a close.

Finding out where they were buried has taken 17 years of research by Mr Cundall and his fellow enthusiasts.

Among the team is 91-year-old war veteran Stanley Coombe, who says he witnessed the burial of the aircraft.

"I never thought I would be allowed to come back and see where Spitfires have been buried," he said.

"It's been a long time since anybody believed what I said until David Cundall came along."

Only an estimated 40 to 50 Spitfires are believed to be airworthy today.

Mr Cundall said the practice of burying surplus military equipment was common at the end of the war.
"

I hope they're being realistic about this. Burma's a hot, damp and humid country. Whatever parts of those Spitfires that isn't aluminium is going to be scrap. Certainly I think they're going to need sh*tloads of new engines at the very least.

Personally I think the most they'll find of any use will be wings and airframes. All the interior parts will be gone.

Water is hardly something you can scoff at, especially if it has been in the crates for the better part of 65 years.  Even if it has only been in the crates for the last decade or so, it could have done some damage.

On the other hand, I have seen the lengths that the British have gone to, to preserve, or at the very least, store items, and I can say it is pretty extensive.  Here's hoping that a nice cache of 36 damn near new Spitfires is unearthed.

If it is underground it means that there is unlikely to be any oxygen present, nor any sun, so the water may not have done that much damage. I wouldn't be surprised if they are in very good nick.

Steel and iron will still rust in water, even in the lack of oxygen.  Consider the iron block engines gone. Control columns gone. Engine mounts gone. Props gone. Landing gear and landing gear mounts gone. Cockpit canopy surround and mountings gone.

About the only things to survive will be the aluminium frame, and aluminium wings. If they didn't use aluminium rivets, then consider the wings warped possibly beyond repair.

When they buried them, they were burying them to keep them out of the enemy's hands. I don't think 70 years of preservation was in their minds. I will be very surprised if they have enough to salvage to make one flyable.

Edited by Nicola_M

For rust to occur both water and oxygen need to be present. For ships submerged the oxygen is usually disolved in the water, a natural process. But with the water not coming into contact with the air the amount of disolved oxygen is going to be very limited, thus limiting the amount of rust.