Back Course and NDB on the G1000 AP

Kursaalflyer

Jim Help - Being new to the G1000, how do you get the AP to follow a back course from a LOC? there doesn't appear to be a back course or reverse button on the AP

Also how do I load NDB frequencies? - there are a number of airfields where I would like to use an NDB and have it shown on the HSI

Jim Help - Being new to the G1000, how do you get the AP to follow a back course from a LOC? there doesn't appear to be a back course or reverse button on the AP

Also how do I load NDB frequencies? - there are a number of airfields where I would like to use an NDB and have it shown on the HSI

If the runway ILS has a backcourse signal then you would simply fly it the same as you would the standard ILS... there is no "backcourse" button, use the "NAV" button.

The G1000 in the Cessna/Columbia 400 does not allow for tuning of NDB frequencies. However, you can input an NDB "ID" into the FMS.

Jim

yep tried that.

The scenario that I am trying to practice:

I'm trying to practice flying a published approach into an airport on RWY 06 - RNAV is not available so the only way is flying the back course of the ILS on 24. With the AP engaged, I push the 'NAV' button which calls up the LOC - instructing the AP to follow the localiser beam, (as it would) however, I have set the course for 06 (RWY) and the plane turns towards the CDI needle and not away from it, as should do if flying a back course. Finally the plane ends up at 90 deg to the runway chasing the needle as it accelerates away.

if you then turn the CRS to 240 as you would if flying a 'From' VOR radial, because the AP is locked on to a 'localiser', the airplane turns through 180 away from the runway.

Pushing the APR buttons does the same thing. - (Does a real world G1000 not have a 'back-course' button?).

Is the only way to get the approaches calling up the APT through the FMS?

Thanks for the info on NDB's - any chance of being able to add this in future up-dates?

For info, I am using XP 9.7 on a mac running OS X

Some quick answers before I look into this further...

The "real world" version of the G1000 as implemented in the Columbia/Corvalis DOES NOT have a backcourse button. So, I will test this further and let you know what I come up with.

As far as the NDBs are concerned the answer is "NO", I will not add this in the future as it is not available in "real life" in this version of the G1000 for the the Columbia/Corvalis.

Jim

Edited by JGregory