An Appeal for Common Airport Objects

chris k

Hey all,

I'm looking for a few stand-alone objects to assist with some scenery development; (for YSSY) of which I believe these are very common objects and might be useful to the community at large.

These are to 'dot around' the scene, to give an impression of immersion or "ground clutter" as others have described them. Objects such as:

- small huts/sheds (ive used alot from the opensceneryx lib) but could use more

- electrical junction boxes coming ouf of the ground (white, silver, metal)

- small red/white checkered buildings (note how everything is painted this way at most major airfirleds).

Note that for the small red/white checkered huts, I cannot find any opensceneryX or default X-Plane library obejct anywhere which resembes this (except the built-in"Glideslope Object" which has such a hut, but also has a tower and fence....(tkyler, i'm looking at you =)..) Even just a dis-assembly of the current glideslope object into it's consituent parts (tower, hut, and fence) would be all that is needed.

Thanks to any who can assist. Even a simple 4-sided hut with red/white checkers would do for now. =)

- CK.

EDIT: i.e. this object, minus the tower and the fence:

checkered-hut.jpg

Edited by chris k

You, sir, are awesome =)

I was also going to also try to start making Facades out of checkerboard textures as well (hence I can scale the object as I see fit).

Here's the junction boxes (from another FSX based scenery - Although these may be a bit "big" - might make em shorter IMHO):

http://simflight.com...ction-boxes.jpg

A more reasonable size and another shot of what i'm after:

http://206.80.253.132/~chrisk/calvin/dirt-shop-12.jpg

As you can see, it just a short, small metal rectangle with 2 cylinders sticking into the ground. Nothing big.... useful for dotting around the place. Metal box, or white, or grey - possibly with a panel on one side of it. (a panel 'texture' that is).

- CK.

P.S. This is making me want to whip out Sketchup now and start learning =)

Edited by chris k

Thanks Again Seth and Henry!

Here's your objects sitting nicely at the ends of RWY 16R and RWY 25 in YSSY, respectively:

-CLICK for LARGER IMAGES-

737_49.jpg

-CLICK for LARGER IMAGES-

737_50.jpg

Thanks again guys! Naturally you'll be in the credits on this one =)

- CK.

P.S. Florian if youre reading this, some ortho PNGs will be coming your way soon =) Need your magic done. =)

Edited by chris k
  • Upvote 2

Hi Setheus,

The total object should be no more than 18-24 inches tall, by about 12 inches wide, by 4-6 inches depth. They aren't that big from what I recall.

The PVCs out the bottom are probably 4" conduits... so 2 of them would make it 12" along the bottom, 4" depth, and, well, 24" height (perhaps 18" height). I'd have to muck around with it ti get the correct perspective/ratio of sides till it looked right.

- CK.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. I already have used many of Walterblenny's objects as part of the scenery. However, the triangle count on his models are insane! (i.e. 50 FPS drop in some areas just by showing his AWOS tower which I had used in the YSSY scenery)

Thanks for the tips! Want to make this as widely supported as possible, but know many users shy away from installing RuScenery for one reason or another... (I think it's the 'RU' in RuScenery which scares them from downloading anything from their site...)

- CK.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Call for another object!

We have need for a LIT billboard, 1 sided, which sits on the ground. Skyflyer has done one on a stand, which is 2 sided. Sky, can you edit your existing one, or does someone have one thy can share?

We'd like to put up some "advert billboards" on the main roadway north of YSSY (as in reality, there's some rather large billboards lining the street. Should accept a 512 x 256 pixel image.

Here's some example photos:

billboard1.jpg

billboard2.jpg

Doesnt have to be exact, doesnt have to have the fancy truss work....

- CK.

Hi Chris,

Here's a start, it's about 30m long, and very basic, but the way I've done the texture mapping, it is easy for me to change ads, and the colour of the legs and frame. I think the real life ones are probably even longer...

See what you think, it would look better with a few tall lights placed hanging over it, if there is one out there.

Regards

Dan

• Upvote 1