Seamax

edwin

She has a negative Flaps setting--never come across this before--I can sumise what it's used for--but what/where/when is it used & because it crops up so infrequently can I assume it's not particularly popular? The whole flap system on this plane seems somewhat intricate!

• 3 weeks later...

Negative flaps (ie, an upward deflection) is used on some sporting gliders - I understand the purpose is to reduce the lift and drag from the wing. This is pure speculation, but perhaps it's to reduce the induced drag on the wing when the aircraft is accelerating on water? So the aircraft can accelerate faster on water, maybe.

Well there are lots of references to this subject on the net but few actually lead anywhere (Mind you I have learned a lot about all other types of flaps, their purpose and useage)--this is about the only direct ref. so far:--

'The flaps on a Maule airplane can be selected negative, which then gives the best lift:drag ratio at a higher airspeed.'

And this--the tech. name is Reflex flaps although negative works:-- As you say Dozer more for Gliders though the Maule & Seamax have it as an option

'Speed mode (reflex). Flaps or both flaps and ailerons at a small negative (up) angle reduces lift and drag by reducing the natural camber of the airfoil. You go faster.'

Edited by edwin