CL650/FCP/ap_eng issues with Mobiflight

Hi,

Few months ago I started to build a FCP for the CL650 using Mobiflight. It is a very simplified version without any LEDs.

Having not as much time as I would like to work on it, it goes slowly. But now, with already some help from Pils, it is almost working ;)

Unfortunately, I still have a problem with the command "CL650/FP/ap-eng" that doesn't work and I can't find a solution, even by reading some other related topics on thus forum.

So, here is the problem:

All my FCP's buttons and encoders work well except the AP ENG button that is not able to trigger the ap_eng command in the sim.

The sim AP ENG works well by cliking directly on screen or by using a keyboard key, but I can't find a way to make it work by using my FCP AP ENG button.

I tried the following:

1- I assign the CL650/FCP/ap-eng command to the FCP AP ENG button like any other one in Mobiflight >>> It doesn't work

2- I assign another command to FCP AP ENG button (CL650/FCP/hdg_sync for instance) >>> It works, so it doesn't to be a problem with the button itself, nor with the arduino or Mobiflight.

3- I assign the CL650/FCP/ap-eng command to another FCP button >>> It doesn't work

4- I assign a keyboard key to the AP ENG in the sim >>> it works

5- I assign a keyboard key emulation to the FCP AP ENG button and then assign the emulated key to xplane AP ENG >>> Then xplane is able to read it very well when doing the keyboard key assignment in the sim by pressing the FCP button, but when using it, the sim AP ENG is not activated by pressing the FCP button.

6- I assign the same keyboard key emulation to another command >>> it woorks!!!

7- I tried some other combinations without better success for the ap-eng command.

I don't understand why this specific command does not work and I'm out of ideas to try something else.

If you have any idea, I'm all ears...

IMG_9813.JPEG

Mobiflight - Input Config Wizard - AP ENG - ap_eng.jpg

Mobiflight - Input Config Wizard - AP ENG - kb.jpg

Xplane - CL650 - AP ENG - kb - HDG Sync.jpg

Xplane - CL650 - AP ENG - kb.jpg

Its very simple, as I’ve explained elsewhere, the “AP engage” command must be held “active” for multiple frames, however MobiFlight is incapable of doing this as long as it uses X-Plane’s UDP interface.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Pils said:

Its very simple, as I’ve explained elsewhere, the “AP engage” command must be held “active” for multiple frames, however MobiFlight is incapable of doing this as long as it uses X-Plane’s UDP interface.

I don't know anything about Xplane UDP interface so I will read some articles about it, but you're answer sounds like a bad news for me :wacko:

Just for my personnal culture, could you tell me more about this "AP engage" feature? Why does it work differently from others? Is it some kind of a bug or is it because of how Xplane or the CL650 pluggin work?

I thought I could try using XPUIPC offsets, but I don't know how it works and it will probably be the same at the end.

I hope I will find a solution. It would be a shame not to be able to use this FCP I made just because of 1 button :huh:

So if needed to change, what should I use instead of Mobiflight? Does SimVimX could be a good alternative?

Edited by fcAero38

10 hours ago, fcAero38 said:

Why does it work differently from others?

There are several buttons in the real aircraft that need to be helm down to activate, I assume as a safety measure, and these are replicated in the simulation.

XPUIPC

Personally I wouldn’t touch this software, it’s a hack and known to cause issues in XP.

So if needed to change, what should I use instead of Mobiflight? Does SimVimX could be a good alternative?

I don’t know those other tools. The developer of other fine CL650 hardware had a similar issue with their DCP/CCP, and was able to work around it with this script https://www.avioniquesimulation.com/wp-content/uploads/products/DCP_CCP/DCP-CCP_panel_lua_script.zip, you can look at it for inspiration.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pils said:

There are several buttons in the real aircraft that need to be helm down to activate, I assume as a safety measure, and these are replicated in the simulation.

Quite strange! I am rated on the CL604/605 in which I didn't notice any need of holding the AP ENG button to activate the autopilot, or at least this is not something I can feel since a single short push is enough. Maybe it's different on the CL650, but I don't think so...

4 hours ago, Pils said:

I don’t know those other tools.

Me neither and since it involves to modify all the wiring and learn a lot of new things, I'm not sure I will try on my own.

4 hours ago, Pils said:

The developer of other fine CL650 hardware had a similar issue with their DCP/CCP, and was able to work around it with this script https://www.avioniquesimulation.com/wp-content/uploads/products/DCP_CCP/DCP-CCP_panel_lua_script.zip, you can look at it for inspiration.

Unfortunately I'm not an expert about programming.

I think this is the end of my journey trying to make this FCP and it's too bad it will end in a box in my attic.
At least that was an interesting journey learning CAO, 3D printing, laser engraving, and so on...

Thanks for your help Pils, and by the way here are some pictures from the "FCP's making of"

IMG_9244.JPEG

IMG_9245.JPEG

IMG_9248.JPEG

IMG_9258.JPEG

IMG_9806.JPEG

IMG_9808.JPEG

IMG_9241.JPEG

IMG_9243.JPEG

Edited by fcAero38
Adding pictures

20 hours ago, fcAero38 said:

Quite strange! I am rated on the CL604/605 in which I didn't notice any need of holding the AP ENG button to activate the autopilot, or at least this is not something I can feel since a single short push is enough. Maybe it's different on the CL650, but I don't think so...

It's possible I misunderstood the motivation behind this design decision for this particular button, however we are talking a matter of milliseconds in the sim so it wouldn't necessarily correspond to irl physical input.

Me neither and since it involves to modify all the wiring and learn a lot of new things, I'm not sure I will try on my own.

I'm hopeful that Mobiflight will improve their integration in the future, most other tools figured this out and provide their own X-Plane plugin for full access to the sim.

Unfortunately I'm not an expert about programming.

No promises, but I might be able to come up with this if I get permission from Avionique.

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2024 at 4:21 AM, Pils said:

Now, tested it is and it works!!!
Thank you very much for your help. I will be able to go some steps further, maybe create some other part of the glareshield and for sure I will also try to go a bit deeper in the use of FlyWithLua

Edited by fcAero38