NZWN Wellington Airport Photo Scenery

chris k

0.2 Beta - Feb 27, 2012

- Recut and re-did virtually every ortho (for the 3rd time! =)…)

- Re-did alpha and colour correction on all orthophotos (not as saturated)

- Double-resolution wide area photos (only completed ones attached) (4k by 4k)

- Fixed all edges of taxiways to line up with orthophotos

- Centrelines fixed on the apron and taxiways now

- Still need to re-do the tarmac/gate area

- Yellow Green exit lighting done

- ILS holds done

- Yellow holds done

- Fencing done south and west side

- Fuel tank objects done

- Tarmac/Apron lighting done (OSX and XP10 versions now both in there, just need to select the right one)

- Optimized orthos into DDS and removed alpha where not needed

- Redid waterlines on area photos

- Adjusted runway thresholds to line up precisely with orthophoto lighting

- No lettering except 3 "A"s at the south end of the runway

- Re-coloured and overlaid blast area yellow chevrons at both wends of the runway. Very sharp edges now! (look great)

- Added yellow fills/yellow bars in green-filled areas at north and south side of the runway

NZWN Wellington Airport Photo Scenery v0.2 Beta

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Hey Charlie; yeah she's looking pretty good now..! Still got more cutting work to do tho. (lots of water in these tiles).

Want me to send you over the original orthos? You can use them to slide underneath your Wellington scenery and use them in your release. I don't mind to give these to you; as without the terminals my scenery is pretty bland. =) I'd much rather give you these so you can release NZWN as an entire package to the community from your nzscenery.webs.com group. (just credit me as a contributor, and credit Land Information New Zealand as the source)

Lemme know and I'll PM you a URL to download the original .PNGs and my earth.wed.xml project, so you can continue the work.

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Never been much into scenery-- I find a lot is pretty much 'Micky Mouse' comic like stuff & often demeans the Planes & Terrain so I do without it. Got to say I'm completely Gobsmacked by the stuff you Guys are turning out though--Well tasty!!! Well done!!!

Hey Charlie; yeah she's looking pretty good now..! Still got more cutting work to do tho. (lots of water in these tiles).

Want me to send you over the original orthos? You can use them to slide underneath your Wellington scenery and use them in your release. I don't mind to give these to you; as without the terminals my scenery is pretty bland. =) I'd much rather give you these so you can release NZWN as an entire package to the community from your nzscenery.webs.com group. (just credit me as a contributor, and credit Land Information New Zealand as the source)

Lemme know and I'll PM you a URL to download the original .PNGs and my earth.wed.xml project, so you can continue the work.

- CK.

That would be cool chris :)

No worries. I'll get things .ZIP'ed up for you and stick em on a server. for you to download. It'll be pretty big!

I believe FlorianR is still Ok with helping to photoshop things.. but I'll let him respond himself, rather than volunteering him =) hehe

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Thanks John! Yeah sorry, I may be cutting into your revenue stream.... methinks this one won't necessarily need UrbanMAXX. =)

XP10 Objects - check...

WED 1.1rc1 - check...

High-Resolution (10cm) GeoTIFF Orthophotos of the Urban area you're trying to cover....... Priceless. =)

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Thanks John! Yeah sorry, I may be cutting into your revenue stream.... methinks this one won't necessarily need UrbanMAXX. =)

XP10 Objects - check...

WED 1.1rc1 - check...

High-Resolution (10cm) GeoTIFF Orthophotos of the Urban area you're trying to cover....... Priceless. =)

- CK.

When that can be done globally in a file less than 100mb I will eat your shorts..... :)

• Upvote 1

Whoa! That would be one heckuva comperssion algorithm. (JPEG-3000 anyone?)

Until then, there's mastercard UrbanMAXX =)

- CK.

p.s. Hoping you're liking this forum so far John. We try to have a good time in our responses, as I hope you can tell.

P.P.S. In the interests of full disclosure: "High-Resolution (10cm) GeoTIFF Orthophotos of the Urban area you're trying to cover" - $120 NZD at http://koordinates.com/

Edited by chris k

• 4 months later...

Hi

I did do some work to the main terminal but I was kind of out of my depth with the photoscenery stuff, My feeble computer could barley open the package in WED (and when it did open it would crash if I wasn't careful) let alone have it look good in XP. I think I'll leave making the photoscenery to you from now on! :)

Ok - we could throw it back in the Queue for completion; or we could collectively throw your objects and the orthos at Simon if he wants to dabble in scenery Dev, as well as integrate the OSM2XP shapes into it.

Simon - Ball in your court. =) More than happy to send all my artwork and WED project to you for the "crisp ortho base" =)

- CK.

Chris, I'm used to having all manner of objects thrown at me. What's a marriage for? Ball in my court? What, am I the Andy Murray of Xplane? :-)

Ok I'll add this to my list of projects to be done. This is a team project though, so I'd appreciate input from any locals for references and any objects from others as we identity a need. I bet you have it all under control though C!

This could be a long time coming, as I'll do it intermittently. But it sounds pretty advanced already thanks to your work guys!

I am yet to get the buildings into OSM. Benny is helping, plus working on some more magic. Once we do, it could be very, very nice. Then I may undertake A 2048 by 2048 overhaul of Benny's day textures, since night went so well.

I'll pm you in the morning. Up far too late again. 1am here. But at least I got to see Wilmington. That was worth it!

That was a 'fun' 4 hours experimenting with OSM2xp, JOSM and another techie shapefile package to get the darned buildings into xplane!

Very satisfied to get HALF of the buildings in, 49,000. I'll do the second half tonight after my bike ride.

Yes, I've been to Wellytown. Yes, it aint exactly perfect, but an excellent base to start with! FPS sweet considering I had Itunes

and photoshop & explorer open at the same time. Now I know how to edit individual buildings out or adjust their data, I'll eventually be able to get the wrecking ball out and cull the height of a few buildings. PM me anyone who wants even this early copy. 20megs.

VIGGEN37_2expt1.jpg

VIGGEN37_3expt1.jpg

egscreen1expt1.jpg

ShapefileWelly1expt1.jpg

Edited by Simmo W

Haha, I just read my own post. I would like to clarify that I am saying the osm scenery is not perfect, not Wellington itself!

Actually it's a gorgeous city, I could live there very easily. Would need to invest in a dozen good wind proof jackets though!