DC3v2 2.0.3 X-Plane 12 Mac: crash to desktop

Hello,

I just got the DC-3. I installed it into X-Plane 12 (12.0.9) running on my m2pro mac with the DC3v2-osx-installer.

When I try to start a flight with the DC-3 (modern or classic) the plane loads and the cockpit becomes visble. Then there is a pop-up about a problem with the fmod soundbank that can be dismissed by clicking the "understood" button in that window. Right after that, X-Plane crashes to desktop.

I have attached a screenshot from right before the crash and the logfiles. It seems like a new DC3.log is not written. I renamed the existing file to DC3.log.old and no new file was created but I'm attaching the one I found anyways.

Interesting bits from the X-Plane Log.txt

dlerror:dlopen(/Users/lars/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/Gizmo64.plugin/mac_x64/Gizmo64.plugin.xpl, 0x0006): tried: '/Users/lars/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/Gizmo64.plugin/mac_x64/Gizmo64.plugin.xpl' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64e' or 'arm64')), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/Users/lars/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/Gizmo64.plugin/mac_x64/Gizmo64.plugin.xpl' (no such file), '/Users/lars/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/Gizmo64.plugin/mac_x64/Gizmo64.plugin.xpl' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64e' or 'arm64'))

(It seems like the Gizmo64 plugin that gets installed by the X-Aviation installer doesn't include the AppleSilicon build of the plugin)

And then...

2024-04-04 17:35:26 [LES DC3 Systems]: [dr.c:90]: assertion "0" failed: dataref "" has bad type 0 (dc3.c:148: &level_1_action)
--=={This application has crashed because of the plugin: LES DC3v2}==--

Not sure if that is caused by the Gizmo64 incompatibility or something else...

I'd love to be able to use the plane I just bought...

1979696303_Screenshot2024-04-04at17_35_17.png

Log.txt DC3.log.old.log

17 minutes ago, Cameron said:

You will need to run the DC-3 with Rosetta enabled for X-Plane.

That's a disappointment because X-Plane under Roesetta does not run as smoothly as running it natively. The plugins in the aircraft itself all come as univerdsal binaries with arm64 support, it is only the gizmo plugin that has not been built for arm64.

Besides, running X-Plane under rosetta leads to the same crash (without the fmod error dialog).

I information about a variant o of the Gizmo64 plugin at https://blog.x-plugins.com/2023/02/gizmo64-version-23.html and that comes with a universal binary that has arm64 support but I don't know if it can be made to work with the DC-3 version that I have. I tried following the instructions and that just led to X-Plane hanging when starting the fight and an 8.3GB (yes gigabytes) Log.txt file that contained endless repetitions of the message:
--=={This application has crashed because of the plugin: Gizmo64-Avionics v23.02.27.1254 macOS}==--
--=={FILE: /Users/lars/X-Plane 12/Log_ATC.txt}==--

So it's not as sinple as that but since everything seems to be basically available for Apple Silicon, it should be possible to make this work.

rosetta_Log.txt rosetta_DC3.log

20 minutes ago, ZackPlonk said:

comes with a universal binary that has arm64 support but I don't know if it can be made to work with the DC-3 version that I have.

No, it cannot.

For the error in your log with the CTD, you should now be able to get around that by opening a default aircraft first, then the DC-3. You couldn't do that before because you were not running under Rosetta.

Posted (edited)

Running X-Plane in Rosetta, I got the activation to pop up when starting up with the C172. After that, the DC-3 loaded up alright (also no fmod-soundbank error). So far so good.

It's quite inconvinient having to run X-Plane in Rosetta mode for the DC-3 because other aircraft that need activation (ToLiss, IniBuilds) need to be re-activated when running in Rosetta and then would need to be re-activated when running natively. So I would basically need to run always under Rosetta and performance just isn't as good as it is when running natively.

Again, everything in the DC-3 aircraft already comes as universal binary. it's only the Gizmo64 plugin that gets installed alongside the aircraft in the X-Plane main plugin folder that lacks Apple Silicon support. I would very much appreciate it, if this could be fixed in a future update, so I can enjoy the aircraft with full performance and without the hassle of switching back and forth between Rosetta and native mode...

Thanks!

Lars

Edited by ZackPlonk

• 2 weeks later...

I was kindly provided with a beta build of Gizmo64 with Apple Silicon support. 

The DC-3 loads up just fine with that and everything seems to work except for the fact that the plane will have zero fuel and can't be filled up. Supposedly, this is due to the experimental Gizmo64 plugin not being fully recognized by the aircraft's DRM. That's somewhat understandable, you don't want anyone just dropping some new binaries in your software.

I would very much appreciate if the Gizmo64 version with apple silicon support was included in an updated to the DC-3 so it can work in native mode. It's such a great plane. It deserves to run in unconstrained native glory! :-)