ATS of course

I am certainly no experienced, type-rated Ace of the Base in the 650.

Can you guys tell me, for example, what are the principal causes of an ATS failure in the approach phase, established on the STAR?  Yes, just happened to me trying to go into the RNAV RNP 21 approach to Scottsdale, KSDL.  I really didn't know how to trouble shoot, and I just disconnected the ATs and managed to get a sort of ok landing.  I like messing with this airplane and hope to slowly improve my limited skills.  I sim several other airplanes so I am not in it every day.

Anecdote:  In that "other sim" I upgraded my Garmin 750 GTXNi, wanting to fly this same approach.  I was chagrined to learn that the 750 and even the G-1000 no can do it.  RNPs require the "Special Authorization".   In the CL 650, the Collins handled it no problem, except I lost the ATS, which I have found is a typical mistake among new comers.  If you can't do the RNAV RNP, you mostly ain't getting into KSDL except via a visual approach.  There's a couple of other RNAV app's there but they don't align you well enough to have a runway number designation.

• 1 month later...