Upgrade advice

sichars1968

I have ordered X-Plane 10, and I am intending to upgrade some of my PC components.

At the moment my Specs are:-

CPU - Core2Duo E8500 3.16Ghz

GPU - ASUS GeForce 9800GT 1GB

Mem - 8GB 800Mhz

M/B - ASUS P5K-VM

OS - Win Vista 64bit

I am gettting pretty good performance in XPX Demo, but unable to use shadows, reflections and HDR. I do have Very High texture resolution, objects and roads set at tons, and airport detail and detail draw distance at high. This is with RW weather and reasonable cloud settings and I am getting 25 - 45 fps.

I am intending to upgrade the CPU to a Core i5 2500 3.3Ghz, but I do not want to overclock so will get the locked CPU and use the boost when under load. The motherboard I am looking at is ASUS P8Z68-V LX, any advice here would be welcome. Memory wise I want to get 1600Mhz but don't know whether to get 4GB(X-Plane is 32 bit) or 8GB(bearing in mind I have a 64 bit OS. Any advice welcome?

My main area for help/advice is the graphics card. I have always used nVidia, but I feel there are some good ATI cards out there(Radeon 6870). Is it best to stick with nVidia bearing in mind I have a Win OS? If so I think looking at my budget I would be looking at a GTX550/560, any thoughts?

Any advice with this would be very welcome.

Cheers

Simon

The things you have picked out look pretty good. Make sure to get good cooling for the i5 even if you don't intend to OC. 8GB of ram is a good choice over 4GB. I recommend Corsair brand. I'm like you, always been with nVidia, so therefor I think the GTX560 Ti is the best value. If you want the PC to be relevant for possibly even another iteration of X-Plane, you might even consider a GTX570 if you have the money.

Regards

-NR

Once again thanks for your advice.

If I do the upgrade to the PC, I wouldn't have the budget to change monitor as well at this stage. Having looked at the nVidia cards and my available budget I may go for the GTX460 now and then see how prices go further down the line.

I will take your advice regarding the memory and go for Corsair, probably the ones you linked to.

Cheers

Simon

I have a GTX460 right now, it will run x-plane 10 OK but I don't see more than 30 fps with extreme res and everything else at slightly less than medium. Save up and get the 560Ti. It will be worth it ;). Also I forgot to mention a motherboard:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512 It doesn't have to be exactly that one, but I do recommend Gigabyte's -UD (ultra-durable) line of boards. Very well constructed and high quality. Mine has been excellent.

-NR