Douglas DC-3 v2 Lost Power

fleurenf

Ok, I’m at a loss here.

I start rolling on the runway, increasing the throttle gently to near full power and all of a sudden I’ve lost power. Cannot takeoff.

What am I doing wrong?

On another note, how do you properly taxi and steer it on the ground?

And just to advise, the boost pumps cannot be turned off as it cuts out the engines.

Edited by fleurenf
Added text

I managed to take off but as advised by checklist after takeoff, as soon as I turn boost pumps off, I lose power and aircraft cannot maintain speed.

What is going on?

Another issue, how do you taxi and steer this aircraft properly so I don’t lose control while going to the runway well at least stay on the taxiway?

Edited by fleurenf
Added text

Now what!!, I start applying throttle and l lose complete power again and cannot restart the engines.

This is very very frustrating. Also the steering options are basically useless to say the least. The aircraft cannot be controlled while trying to taxi.

Again just to advise, the boost pumps cannot be turned off as it cuts out the engines.

Edited by fleurenf

@fleurenf first of all, we have dedicated forum for support: https://forums.x-pilot.com/forums/forum/280-douglas-dc-3-v2/

Taxing: The aircraft behaves as the real one, which means that you must be very vigilant when taxiing. One tip, to taxi down the runway/taxi, is to lock the tail wheel as soon as you are aligned with the centerline. Go slowly and  make turns even slower. When the aircraft starts rotating, needs a counter action to stop, before you are aligned with the straight you want to taxi. Also, things depending on your hardware. Do you have twin throttles and left/right toe braking? If not, there are options that will help you with that. https://airfightergr.github.io/les_dc3_docs/gui/#hardware-options

From your description, you have failed the engine, going above the limit, either too much, or too fast, or both. There are engines failures, with a lot of margin, if you misbehave with power.

Normally, you don't need to use fuel boost pump, except as safety for take off and landing. Another case might be if you are in a very cold environment, and the engine is not properly warmed up. Those big radial engines need some proper warming to work properly.

In any case, please attach your Log.txt and DC3.log files. The later is in DC-3v2/resources/data folder.

17 hours ago, airfighter said:

Normally, you don't need to use fuel boost pump, except as safety for take off and landing. Another case might be if you are in a very cold environment, and the engine is not properly warmed up. Those big radial engines need some proper warming to work properly.

Thanks for that. It worked this time. I started the engines , let it run for a while to warm up, taxied to the runway than prior to takeoff activated the fuel boost pumps. Once airborne and on steady climb, deactivated the fuel boost pumps and engines remained alive. It sure is a big learning curve. 

The next thing if at all possible, is there a keybind for allowing to set the mixture? Individually setting the mixture to rich and lean is difficult using the mouse and affects the aircraft because of the delayed reaction of the movement of the mixture control.

Edited by fleurenf
Added text

6 hours ago, fleurenf said:

Thanks for that. It worked this time. I started the engines , let it run for a while to warm up, taxied to the runway than prior to takeoff activated the fuel boost pumps. Once airborne and on steady climb, deactivated the fuel boost pumps and engines remained alive. It sure is a big learning curve. 

You're welcome! It is a part of DC3 pilot experience we are trying to give to the user.

6 hours ago, fleurenf said:

The next thing if at all possible, is there a keybind for allowing to set the mixture? Individually setting the mixture to rich and lean is difficult using the mouse and affects the aircraft because of the delayed reaction of the movement of the mixture control.

This is something that is in our todo list. Finishing now the first update, mostly fixes, and this will come in the second one. Will be 2 commands per lever, one up command (from Cutoff -> auto lean -> auto rich -> emer) and one down (the opposite).

1 minute ago, airfighter said:

You're welcome! It is a part of DC3 pilot experience we are trying to give to the user.

This is something that is in our todo list. Finishing now the first update, mostly fixes, and this will come in the second one. Will be 2 commands per lever, one up command (from Cutoff -> auto lean -> auto rich -> emer) and one down (the opposite).

Awesome. Thanks.