Virtual Airlines, Who flys for a VA?

Rick310

Flying for a Virtual Airlines can be good and bad, depending on the VA. I fly for two VA's one of which is my own. My VA is Air Nevada. Air Nevada only flys turboprop and prop aircraft. NO  JETS. 54 aircraft, over 6000 routes on the schedule(any where in the US and Canada). The other one is Platinum airways. Here you can fly any aircraft and fly anywhere and then file a manual pirep. I have over 7500 hours flying for Platinum Airways and just over 4500 hours for Air Nevada.

I consider myself a Bad A@# simulator pilot and one of best, when it comes to flying small aircraft. I fly everyday, all day on the IVAO Network, the best Network on the internet today, no question. 

So what VA do ya all for?

Edited by Rick310
spellogn

On 6/11/2023 at 10:42 AM, Ralf Maylin said:

I gave up on VA‘s and use Volanta by ORBX to log my flights, has fancy maps and statistics. It’s more hassle free. My flights, my rules.

I've been using Volanta almost since day 1. However, I never associated it with a VA. Other than the flight sim ACARS there is little in common with a VA. I always thought that one of the many reasons for a VA was to be accountable, albeit not to anyone particularly, but perhaps to others in the VA.

BTW: Volanta is great. If you haven't tried it you're missing a lot.

2 hours ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

Volanta is great. If you haven't tried it you're missing a lot.

I know nothing about Volanta. But I have heard of it from Navigraph survey. There are two parts to aviation. One the pilots flying the plane and two air traffic control. I do not know if Volanta has live ATC. But I do know IVAO has live ATC. People say "I get my ATC from my simulator or I get my ATC from an ATC program". The problem with this is that you do not have to comunicate with an air traffic controller.

With live ATC, do you know how to ask for an IFR clearance? Do you know how to ask for a VFR clearance to enter Class b airspace?  What are the ATC positions that can be maned(IE DEL, GND, TWR, APP, CENTER)? And Phraseology is very important for pilots and ATC.

If you want fly as real as it gets and experience real world flying, Live ATC is the real deal.

I understand that IVAO is not the only network with live ATC. IVAO is the network I like to fly on.

A virtual Airline is basically a flight log with rank. I have been with a lot VA's since 2001. The reason I left most VA's was because of rejected pireps for varies reasons. I was kicked out of one VA. 

The difference between VA's are the rules they have. Some VA's have strict rules and some not so many. Back in the day, you had to file a manual pirep after each flight. Now a days most VA's has an ACARS system connected to their website, But all pireps still have to be approved.

The Va's with the strict rules try to simulate real world airline operations. And all pilots are required to read FAR/AIM.

Last, Live ATC makes you a better pilot.

@VirtualGAaviator I am surprised that you are not interested in a network with live ATC. You started your PPL and got a taste of real world flying and talking to ATC.

A flight log is the reason I started my own VA. Was for the sole purpose to have my personal flight log. I do accept pilots, but I do not care about how many pilots join, like other VA's that will not delete inactive pilots. And I have 2 pilots, so that proves my point. My VA only flys small turboprops and prop aircraft. Most simulator pilots want to fly for a simulated real world airline and fly the airliners or I call big birds. And I did that for the first 10 years of flight simulation hobby. VA's like UPS, Jetblue, Flying tigers group(until I got kicked out of), Thai Intl and others with multi airlines like Fly virtual or worldwide virtual. The short period of time I used FSX on steam, I started buying small aircraft from carenado and never looked back to the big birds and still have no desire to fly the big birds again.

I will not leave IVAO and I am a member Poscon, but have never made a flight on this network. And sorry, I have no interest in Volanta.

WOW, I have been doing flight simulation for 22 years, time flys when your having fun!! Woooo!

22 hours ago, Rick310 said:

@VirtualGAaviator I am surprised that you are not interested in a network with live ATC. You started your PPL and got a taste of real world flying and talking to ATC.

I never really talked to ATC in real life. I did make CTAF calls. My CFI handled ATC. I would have eventually had I continued training. 

I am interested in a virtual ATC network. I have a current Pilotedge (PE) subscription and, a Vatsim account. My issue was that I stop progressing. I got to a point where I was comfortable with PE, flying to the same airports over and over in the ZLA area. Being a VFR pilot, I didn't push myself to practice IFR flying and procedures. I even got the feeling that the PE controllers grow tired of handling my usual calls and request for flight following. I really quit when I was flying VFR with flight following to a small airport just outside of Las Vegas.

The controller advised me that I was in violation of airspace when I flew over a Military Operations Area (MOA). I'd flown the route numerous times with flight following in the past. As I was arriving into the Vegas area he asked vectored me to a heading to avoid traffic. I began to panic. Although I'd been vectored before to avoid traffic, I was caught totally off guard. He told me to turn 10 degrees to the left. I was more used to something like fly heading 340 to avoid traffic. Then he told me to join the Boulder VOR on an outbound radius. What? huh? After the 3rd request to comply, I said unable, that I was having some issue with my avionics (which I wasn't) and I cancelled flight following.

I got really mad at the controller. Then I realized that I was the blame and I got mad with myself for not being able to follow those instructions. I realized it wasn't the controller. It was me. All those years flying PE and I couldn't fly outbound on a VOR radius. Ever since then I get terribly intimidated by ATC. So I avoid networks yet, I keep telling myself that I'm going to restart. That's why I keep my PE subscription current and I occasionally fly Vatsim. Never IFR though. So yes, I am interested in ATC and I do intend to work through my fear. It's just that it's easier to do it tomorrow than today (wow! a catchline, right?).

Hey man, you don't have to give Volanta a try. But if you did, I think you'd like it. It works in tandem with ATC networks.

I understand. Pilotedge cost money and I am too cheap. I like IVAO because of their training documents. Training Documents IVAO is good stuff. You can look at them without an account or signing in. Easy to read and navigate. I do not look for ATC on the IVAO network. In the US and Canada it is rare you will run into ATC. And if you do it is Center online and I fly VFR without flight following. They do not bother me unless I enter Class B airspace. I never enter Class B airspace, I do not fly into major airports like KLAS or KLAX. And in Alaska, it very rare you will see ATC, unless there is an event taking place.

The Las Vegas area, I know the North Las Vegas airport And the Henderson airport is Class B . Boulder City is uncontrolled airspace. Nellis AFB is military ops.

What I have learned of the years is navigate your plane first. You are the pilot in command. Then Commutate. And turn right 10 degrees don't cut it with me either and my response would have been Unable,  Request a heading. And you have to remain calm, don't get all freaky diky. I have a scratch pad close by so I can right the headings and transponer numbers down.

I know PE has real world controllers for the lax artcc. And I have never had formal training. I could not fly an outbound VOR radius, again I would have requested a heading. I have never flown a real aircraft. And my Piper Arrow 3 does not have a digital heading read out. I have to use my FSTramp for my headings.

Flying IFR, you have to be in contact with ATC at all times if they are online in IVAO.

I had some ATC training from a real world controller many years ago. Interesting to say the least.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

I got really mad at the controller. Then I realized that I was the blame and I got mad with myself for not being able to follow those instructions.

After reading your post again. I think this controller was messing with you. I have a bad temper, so I know how easy it is to get angry. Don't be afraid to tell the controller that you don't know how do that. Please instruct me how to fly an outbound VOR radius or just give a heading. If he gives crap about this, tell him to quit busting your balls and please give me a heading to fly. Don't do nothing untill you understand what the controller is telling you do. Your flying the plane, not him!!!

It has been a while since I have had to deal ATC on IVAO. IVAO controllers favorite trick is to call me when I am on final and less than 1000 ft AGL. That makes me angry, but I complained about this and they have not done this again.

I get it. I was the same way. My plan was to let the sim be my time for relaxing and enjoyment. As a matter of course, I'd learn the basics. In fact, learning the basics was a lot of fun. What I didn't want was for the sim to become work and a source of frustration. Over the past few months that's exactly what it had become. That's because I am trying to transition into airliners. The Zibo flies just like the C172. It's the other crap that's frustrating and requires some degree of study. Learning to program the FMS - which I tackled because I wanted to fly the CL650. Learning to read charts, and follow SIDS and STARS. On top of that, managing the radios during the periods of high work loads. However, cruise is the most boring thing in the world in airliners. I can see why sim pilots who've mastered Airliners enjoy it so much. If you can accomplish a real point to point flight and everything goes just like you planned it has to be a great feeling of reward. I'm trying to get there.  At this point I can, at least start the engines on the ZIBO :lol:. I do intend to fly the 737-300 which is currently under redevelopment. That's my motivation for learning an airliner. BTW - the frustrations are subsiding and slowly being replaced with enjoyment and reward.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

Learning to read charts, and follow SIDS and STARS. On top of that, managing the radios during the periods of high work loads

There was a time, I had stacks of folders with airport maps and all the SIDS and STARS for many different airports. Now Navigraph can do all that for you. I pay for it all on Navigraph, but I do not use any charts since I stopped flying airliners. The radios are easy for me on IVAO because IVAO pilot client is user friendly. And FSTramp is a great moving map I use also.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 6:13 AM, VirtualGAaviator said:

join the Boulder VOR on an outbound radius.

I got it. I have researched this and now I can rap my head around. Tune your nav radio to the VOR Frequency, Set you Nav 1 course to the course ATC give you and you fly until the localizer becomes active. And you make your turn away from the VOR. Just like when you turn final on an ILS approach.

Hope I explained this right?

Lincoln county airport is the main hub for Air Nevada. I will looking forward to returning home. I have made an airport scenery for Lincoln County Airport and down the road you will be able to see my Virtual house. This is the first VA run by a husband and a wife. My wife and I run this VA. She is the CEO of Air Nevada.

I travel from airport to airport. The airport I land at is the one I take off from. No teleporting. And I do this in small aircraft. In three years I have over 2000 flights and over 4000 flight hours. 

Flight simulation is my life. Fly everyday, all day. I feel I am one of the best simulation pilots. I test my skills every day on the IVAO network with live ATC. Flying as real as it gets.

• Like 1