Procedure Turns

richjb

Greetings again...

I'm bringing this issue to this forum; however, I am fairly certain that it's not an issue with Hot Start 650. 

Yesterday, I was flying the ILS 19R at KICT:  00987IL19R (faa.gov)

I set the FMS up for the ILS 19R and the ICT transition.  in the FMS, the LEGS page showed the following waypoints:

ICT HOVER P-TURN CFBTT HOVER and the rest of the approach. 

In the real airplane, the sequence would be ICT HOVER P-TURN HOVER and the rest of the approach. 

I noticed that Navigraph is including procedure data from the Jeppesen nav-database that they now use for reference.  However, from some reason, this incorporation the course centering fix, which is the [CFBTT] on this approach. This waypoint is included in the ARINC 424 specification to support straight-in approaches, i.e., VECTOR option in FMS language.  When the VECTOR option is selected the leg sequence is CFBTT HOVER and rest of the approach.  CFBTT should be excluded when the procedure turn is included in the leg sequence, for example when the ICT transition is selected. 

What happens is that the P-TURN leg does not begin until the aircraft is past CFBTT, which means the procedure turn can go out 20 miles from the FAF.  Is it a big deal?  Not at KICT as you won't hit anything.  Out in the western US where procedure turns are shoved down between mountain ridges, yes it will be an issue as the TAWS alerts start going off. 

I noticed this same behavior in XIBO B737-800 FMS, which leads me to believe that it's Navigraph issue.  I thought I would begin asking questions here because you folks seem to know what you're doing, and maybe you can help Navigraph fix the problem. 

Oh, in case someone asks, you cannot just delete CFBTT.  Doing so blows the approach and airplane start tracking strangely. 

Thanks for your help!

Rich Boll