Linux Crash Issues with 1.1.1? Post here!

Cameron

This topic is for those experiencing problems on Linux with version 1.1.1 or above of the CRJ.

Please do NOT post in this topic unless you have read and followed the procedure in the following topic: http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php?topic=2486.0

If you have followed the procedures as listed in the topic that brought you here, please attach your log.txt and crash.txt located in your main X-Plane directory. Give a brief explanation of what happened as well.

Thank you!

This gdb log doesn't say anything at all, since you missed these important steps (condensed the two posts into one guide):

in the gdb console you will see the crash info ("catched SIGSEG blah blah ....").

After x-plane has crashed execute the following commands from the gdb commandline:

- set pagination off

- thread apply all backtrace

- NOW you can create the back trace by simply typing in: bt

- the resulting output is the back trace (which you could then post here in the forum OR even better send with a bug report to Laminar).

- finally you can stop the hanging X-Plane by typing kill

- and leave gdb by typing quit

The stacktrace looks like the stackpointer is pointing into West Gibberish. No idea what caused this, but it's great that MdMax pointed you to a possible solution that worked right away. I never tried Linux Mint, but since it is based on Ubuntu no wonder that you can use the Ubunut packets right away and it works. Great.

What I see now looks fairly normal: The CRJ offloads the display rendering tasks to the other CPU cores not used by the X-Plane main thread. The CRJ rendering is designed to use up to 8 cores if available, so it is pretty normal to see a quad-core operating near 100%. Thats the purpose of supporting multi-cores. Why would you like to see the others cores (for which you paid real money) just idling around?

The frame rate fluctuation however is not normal. 70 frames are useless anyhow, our eyes can't track much more than 30 frames anyway (Holywood movies have only 24, BTW). You should use the X-Plane frame rate limiting option to limit the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor, of it still causes fluctuation, half the refresh rate of the monitor (which is most likely 30, since modern LCD monitors all run at 60Hz).

Philipp

The stacktrace looks like the stackpointer is pointing into West Gibberish. No idea what caused this, but it's great that MdMax pointed you to a possible solution that worked right away. I never tried Linux Mint, but since it is based on Ubuntu no wonder that you can use the Ubunut packets right away and it works. Great.

What I see now looks fairly normal: The CRJ offloads the display rendering tasks to the other CPU cores not used by the X-Plane main thread. The CRJ rendering is designed to use up to 8 cores if available, so it is pretty normal to see a quad-core operating near 100%. Thats the purpose of supporting multi-cores. Why would you like to see the others cores (for which you paid real money) just idling around?

The frame rate fluctuation however is not normal. 70 frames are useless anyhow, our eyes can't track much more than 30 frames anyway (Holywood movies have only 24, BTW). You should use the X-Plane frame rate limiting option to limit the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor, of it still causes fluctuation, half the refresh rate of the monitor (which is most likely 30, since modern LCD monitors all run at 60Hz).

Philipp

I see your point, one of the reasons that i bought the CRJ is the optimization for multi-cores CPUs. But on my pc, looks like the CRJ is trying to get more than my CPU can give and its causing lag when all cores load 100%. On Windows it works fine, but on linux my xplane runs really more smooth with a lot more FPS, so i'm giving a chance.

I tried to turn v-sync on and it seens to help a little, but i cannot find a way to fix the framerate on 30fps. When i put to set "lock on half framrate" on xplane i get 19fps and its pretty unplayable. There is one way to fix on 30fps? Like the windows program "FPS Limiter".

Thanks!

I tried to turn v-sync on and it seens to help a little, but i cannot find a way to fix the framerate on 30fps. When i put to set "lock on half framrate" on xplane i get 19fps and its pretty unplayable. There is one way to fix on 30fps? Like the windows program "FPS Limiter".

I'm also using driver VSync to limit my framerate to 60 and I didn't find something to limit the FPS to 30.

19FPS instead of 30 when using the X-Plane framerate lock set to "half refresh of monitor" is a bug I have since X-Plane 9.40.

I already sent a bug report for this, but it may help Laminar Research if you also send them a bug report with your Log.txt file showing your Ati driver version.

Seems like it is not only me left with stuttering.

NathosThaymoth, please let me know if you find solution.

Also, do you mind posting your CPU (cat /proc/cpuinfo) infos?

Kind regards,

Kamil

processor : 0

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD

cpu family : 16

model : 4

model name : AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor

stepping : 3

cpu MHz : 3399.550

cache size : 512 KB

physical id : 0

siblings : 4

core id : 0

cpu cores : 4

apicid : 0

initial apicid : 0

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 5

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save

bogomips : 6799.10

TLB size : 1024 4K pages

clflush size : 64

cache_alignment : 64

address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

processor : 1

core id : 1

apicid : 1

initial apicid : 1

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save

bogomips : 6800.27

processor : 2

core id : 2

apicid : 2

initial apicid : 2

bogomips : 6800.28

processor : 3

core id : 3

apicid : 3

initial apicid : 3

bogomips : 6800.27

Maybe it's an AMD issue?  ???

I have (I think) an older version - also quad core:

processor : 0

model : 2

model name : AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor

cpu MHz : 2511.625

core id : 0

apicid : 0

initial apicid : 0

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs npt lbrv svm_lock

bogomips : 5023.25

Philipp?

Kamil,

the only common denominator I see here is that you are both using AMD processors, while MdMax and I use Intel. It might be that the CRJ plugin makes use of optimizations that work great on Intel, but less so on AMD CPUs. What is strange however, is that this issue only affects Linux users. I have no record of a Windows user on AMD having the same problem.

So it might be a problem of the scheduler, who knows  ???

The only thing I can offer you is a specifically AMD-optimized plugin build to test. It would require you to exchange your CRJ and vascore plugins in the file manager, without an installer. As you are Linux users I have some confidence you can do this :D If you want to test this, dop me a private message. If this proves helpful, we might include it in a future update.

Philipp

I am happy to give it a go. Hope it will work better.

What scheduler are you using?

in terms of my kernel configuration:

$ grep -i sched /usr/src/linux/.config 
CONFIG_HAVE_UNSTABLE_SCHED_CLOCK=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED=y
CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED=y
CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED=y
# CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP is not set
# IO Schedulers
CONFIG_IOSCHED_NOOP=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_DEADLINE=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ=y