Xplane 9.69 19 FPS limited.

mbvdlza

Morning everyone.

Mmm, I have a tricky issue, and it seemed to have started a few days ago (meaning it wasn't like this all the time).

I am constantly in search of optimizing my framerates to get them to stabilize (anything around 30 is ok for me), and I suppose I did something wrong...

What I get now is a framerate locked on 19.00, spot on. I tried just about everything I could find on the xp wiki, forums and google searches.

I uninstalled my REX, reinstalled it with lower res clouds, I used payware and default planes, I went so far as to set back graphics to 16 bit, I even set all the features to "none" (object detail, forests, etc etc). Doesn't matter what I do, it sticks to 19 fps, and it doesn't feel good flying at 19 I tell you.

I turned off AA and Anisotropy in XP and turned it on in my ati HD4870's panel, then the other way around, then both off (which MUST show an fps increase). Clear skies, rain, cumulus, fog, it all just stays at 19 :)

This cannot be right, right? Would love some ideas, I feel like just reinstalling XP, but if I did that, I would still need to know why this happens so I can avoid it.

My setup is simple, default global install, XP 9.69 (latest Servpack), some payware planes and REX HD (at very low settings and usually without cumulus). I also use some plugins, clearview(which I suspect might do something bad, but doesnt explain the fps locked in ALL weather types) and my IVAP client, pilotview and thats about it.

I have a hd4870, 4 GB of ram, an AMD phenom X4 which runs around 3.2ghz stock and windows 7 with all updates, what more can I say?

Hope to hear from anyone!

cheerios

marlon

;)

I have the same problem only if I lock the framerate to "half the refresh rate of monitor", that's why I asked.  :)

Is your computer very hot when running X-Plane ? What's the temperature of your CPU and GPU ? Are the fans clean ?

CPU's constant under load around 55'ish and GPu just over 60 or so (degrees celsius)

But I will investigate it, anything is worth trying now :)

Think I should investigate the "clearview" plugin as well, and perhaps reinstall, and fit an AMD X6

Maybe this is a good excuse...

Mmm guys, thought I would check back, even if just for the interest of others with the same symptoms.

The problem seems to be resolved by deleting prefs. This is a harsh step, and I hope it won't be neccesary again.

I did notice that if I set the fps limit to monitor refresh rate, or half monitor refresh rate, it goes to 19 fps again. At least this time it goes back to normal if I "do not lock".

When I started this thread, "no not lock" had no effect.

Thanks to all the responders!

Marlon

• 2 months later...

Wierd getting such low framerates and doubt that its the Phenom Black x4 CPU to blame & I have read in other forums  that upgrading to x6 is of no great advantage.

I have a somewhat modest GPU <GeForce 260 gtx = 1Gb overclocked x2.>  CPU< Phenom Black 3.2 overclocked =215mhz x16 = 3440mhz>  <8gb RAM>  <Win. Memory usage set to Program with Virtual Mem paging file set to 3550mb> Win XP sp3 32bit--but plenty of  good quality fans cleaned weekly keeping the average temp CPU 34deg- MB 32deg -and GPU fan set to 80% manual maintaining an average 40/50deg (The cooling system & cleaning made a huge difference!)

X-Plane settings are default or above Scenery/weather ect and I get no problems whatsoever running 70 fps for long periods  with 'Clear skies' at 20miles with weather updated every 10 min.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a phenom x4 3.2ghz, 4 gb ram 800mhz and nvidia 260GTX and I always have low fps too. Funny thing because I run all my games at 1080 resolution in a 32" screen with no problems at all but x-plane dies completelly and I have to remove all shadows, fogs and such to make it run at 25 fps...

I use XP and I tried formating the pc but there was no change at all, none.  >:) >:D

Have you tried < http://wiki.x-plane.com > Setting up X-Plane. Also X-Plane hardly runs on my AMD PhenomII x4 3.2G without considerable overclocking & there are huge variations in frame rates depending on the aircraft being flown. A Hurricane can maintain 65-70fps doing the craziest of manouvers. Cessna 172 45-65fps. Just turning on the Garmin colour terrain GPS feature on the Cessna Corvalis TT preflight sees the fps drop from 50 to 29-35fps -- thats whilst you're on the tarmac. Give the Wiki settings a go.Cheers