Performance Planning Numbers

So i'm getting ready to make my first flight in the CRJ.  Understandably, I'm excited, but even further, plan on flying it like a professional.  As such, I have my flight plan from the delivery factory in Montreal Mirabel (CYMX) and will be making the trek to Melbourne, FL (KMLB), the closest airport with commercial service with the CRJ.  So I am thrilled to see the planning performance numbers listed with the CRJ POH, but one I did not see was specific fuel burn calculations.  Airliners are rarely filled to the brim, and I plan on only fueling the aircraft for the flight, plus reserve.  Is there any access for taxi, climb, cruise and descent fuel burn numbers?  Additionally, I see the Vspeed definitions are given, but unless I missed them, specific values are not provided in the POH, either.

I can't wait to get this bird off the ground, just need a little more info, if its available!

-Jeff

In case anyone wants the same information, or cares for that matter, I found some data online that proved to be pretty accurate:

Taxi fuel:  200lbs/hr per engine

T/o + Climb (1st hour of flight time): 3500 lbs

Cruise burn:  1200-1500lbs/hr per engine

Approach:  300lbs/hr per engine

Landing/taxi:  200lbs/hr per engine

As per FAA regulations, you will want enough reserve fuel to also fly to your alternate field + 45 minutes of hold time.  Hope that helps!

Hi there,

here's the data from real world operation with CL850 (revised CRJ2). Fuel burn is related to AC specs as follows:

Max fuel according to the manual:  18'155 lbs

Max (true) possible fuel:  17'637 lbs

BOW:  15'263 lbs

ZFW (max):  19'958 lbs

MTOW:  52'890 lbs

MLW:  21'316 lbs

Basic fuel calculation we use for CL850:

Taxi fuel:  772 lbs

+ Burn:  ...

+ Contingency:  5.00%

+ ALTN fuel:  ...

+ Holding fuel: 0h30

+ Reserve fuel: ...

= Total fuel

Consumption (avg) 1st hour (incl climb):  3'000 lbs

Consumption (avg) 2nd hour:  2'500 lbs

Consumption (avg) 3rd hour:  2'000 lbs

Consumption (avg) 4th hour:  2'000 lbs

Of course, the burn is always subject to the wind conditions. So, you'll never have it 100% accurate.

I haven't bought the CRJ yet, so I have no idea what information is contained in the POH, but here is a link that may provide useful to some. It is a 6 page file, but the Appendices give Take Off and Landing speeds for different aircraft weights. The info was from Canadian Virtual Airlines Aircraft Operating Instruction CRJ 200.

http://canadianva.com/Academy/files/cvacrjaoi.pdf

It would be great if there was a spreadsheet, webpage or a plugin where you could calculate these figures in an instance without having to remember formulas or looking up tables every time for fuel calculations, vspeeds and trim...

It would be great if there was a spreadsheet, webpage or a plugin where you could calculate these figures in an instance without having to remember formulas or looking up tables every time for fuel calculations, vspeeds and trim...

welcome to realistic aviation mate. Such calc is highly important to be done each time you'll hit the runway. Simply because of the weather and the weight & balance changing all the time. Once you do this a couple of times, you'll get used to it. When planning, we do have some software helpers we rely on. For sample, the Jepp Jetplanner comes with fuel estimate and GURU comes with performance data. But those are pretty expensive to afford for simulation purposes.

Hi there,

here's the data from real world operation with CL850 (revised CRJ2). Fuel burn is related to AC specs as follows:

That's very similar to what I've been using for my fuel calculations, and I haven't run out yet (or hit my reserve)! That said, looks like I've been shorting my taxi fuel a little.  Thanks for the data!

Here's what I used for my last flight (KMIA - KTPA):

0510111339.jpg

I'm working on a spreadsheet for that right now, which I plan on either publishing or sending to Javier for his approval.  But as Dispatch said, we do it in the real world by hand.  Granted, the pilot usually gets all this information from dispatch/ops, already calculated when they're given their day's route assignment.  You need to remember, in most 14 CFR 135 and 14 CFR 121 operations, you're going to have multiple people working on the different aspects of the flight - Ops for route planning, weight/balance, fuel allotments; Ground crews for refueling, baggage handling; etc etc.  Further, these aircraft have at least 2 pilots (one flying one non-flying), all with specific work-flows independent of each other, and cooperating with the other.

So if it feels like a lot to do by yourself, well... it is, but all pilots learn how to do it.  Here's the sheet we use:

0510111331.jpg