Looking at iMacs...

MaidenFan

Hey guys, with the CRJ very close and X-Plane 10 nearing release as well, I'm considering getting a new computer. With new add-ons approaching, I want to make sure my computer can handle these at a good level.

Current Set Up:

Macbook Pro

4GB of RAM

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Nividia GeForce 9600M GT-256MB

Looking At:

iMac 21.5 Inch

2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

1920 x 1080 resolution

4GB (two 2GB) memory

500GB hard drive1

AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

Price: $1200

What do you think the performance difference is?

If you are going to upgrade you may as well go all the way. I ordered the fully tricked out 27 inch Imac. I will be writing a review of it and how it handles x-plane when it gets here.

Yeah, you're probably right. If I sold my MacBook Pro, I should have a good amount of money to put towards the 27 inch.

Hey,

I have just got the 21.5inch quad core i5 2011 model I think your talking about and I totally agree, if you can, go with the i7, but i think the i5 is a beast, it handles x-plane on very close to full specs flawlessly, even with the CRJ ;)

If you want my actual rendering settings I can find out for you :)

Tom

What graphics card does it have? What frames are you getting with the CRJ? A screenshot of your renderings would be great! I'm seriously considering getting one, most likely within the next month or so. Thanks,

Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, similar question.  Trying to decide if I should move X-Plane from my desktop to my laptop to help with the freezing issue, or if I should update my desktop.  Desktop:

iMac5,1

Intel Core 2 Dou

1 2GHz processor

2 Cores

4MB L2 Cache

1GB "Memory," not sure what kind

667MHz Bus Speed

Lots of Applications and various stuff you'd expect on a family computer

Graphics Card:

ATI Radeon X1600

128MB VRAM

1440x900

32 Bit

PCle Bus, whatever that is

versus:

Macbook4,1

Intel Core 2 Dou

1 2.1 GHz Processor

2 Cores

3MB L2 Cache

1MB "Memory," again, not sure what memory

800 MHz Bus Speed

Less applications and stuff in general than the family computer

Graphics Card:

Intel GMA X3100

144MB VRAM

1280x800

32 Bit

Built-In Bus

I'm looking at a PC with a second gen i5 Quad-Core processor with an ATI Radeon HD 6570 video card with 1GB dedicated VRAM. I bet that would run the CRJ on pretty high settings considering my dual core with 256 MB can get by...

Sounds good Perry, but that graphics card is pretty light on for today's standards. A  6850 should be approx $200 compared to $80 or so for that card, but be 3 times more powerful- youll have a faster pc than me  :D

Updating the desktop, in other words buying a new one, would be much more beneficial to you.  I doubt you would see any difference changing form the laptop to the desktop, there both pretty gutless...

Ok, I edited the post with one more significant, IMHO, detail, being that the Desktop has a bunch of applications and documents etc. you'd expect on a family computer, but the laptop doesn't as it is less frequently used.

Updating the desktop, in other words buying a new one, would be much more beneficial to you.  I doubt you would see any difference changing form the laptop to the desktop, there both pretty gutless...

Ok, I edited the post with one more significant, IMHO, detail, being that the Desktop has a bunch of applications and documents etc. you'd expect on a family computer, but the laptop doesn't as it is less frequently used.

That wouldn't make a wit of difference unless they are open when you are using XP.  make sure to quit everything while using XP to max out your CPU on XP.