Avroliner at the org

MaidenFan

3D pit = TrackIR, no doubt about it. Mouse look helps to some extent, but that's not the most efficient way to look around, especially in helicopters, or in a dogfight, when you really need both hands for flying. TrackIR is only as good as good is your setup, mine took 7 months to fine tune all the values, and I'm perfectly happy with it now. I've found it to work the best with small sensitivity in rolls, and minimal sensitivity in translations. All axis 100% linear. I could post specific values, if you're interested.

Here's a tip for the wobbly head and troubles with hitting right buttons at the right time: look at the manipulator in question, move your head closer, with the TrackIR itself, and disable it for a moment, either with appropriate keystroke kombination, or just by covering track clip's LEDs with your hand (like I do). This way I can manipulate 3D controls quickly and efficiently, even in helicopters. Set up what you need before take off, make initial climb with hands on controls, trim or engage AP and you're free to manipulate anything that is needed.

While I love manipulators, there is one instance, when I think they're overdone. It's when you have to drag a small pole switch or a rocker switch, that is only ON-OFF type. A simple mouse click is way more efficient for that scenario! For example, I understand dragging F-16 type gear lever, for the sake of "appearance" and "realism" but dragging tiny avionics switch is just too much.

3D pit = TrackIR, no doubt about it. Mouse look helps to some extent, but that's not the most efficient way to look around, especially in helicopters, or in a dogfight, when you really need both hands for flying. TrackIR is only as good as good is your setup, mine took 7 months to fine tune all the values, and I'm perfectly happy with it now. I've found it to work the best with small sensitivity in rolls, and minimal sensitivity in translations. All axis 100% linear. I could post specific values, if you're interested.

Here's a tip for the wobbly head and troubles with hitting right buttons at the right time: look at the manipulator in question, move your head closer, with the TrackIR itself, and disable it for a moment, either with appropriate keystroke kombination, or just by covering track clip's LEDs with your hand (like I do). This way I can manipulate 3D controls quickly and efficiently, even in helicopters. Set up what you need before take off, make initial climb with hands on controls, trim or engage AP and you're free to manipulate anything that is needed.

While I love manipulators, there is one instance, when I think they're overdone. It's when you have to drag a small pole switch or a rocker switch, that is only ON-OFF type. A simple mouse click is way more efficient for that scenario! For example, I understand dragging F-16 type gear lever, for the sake of "appearance" and "realism" but dragging tiny avionics switch is just too much.

Thanks for all that Lis.

Can you send me those specific values?  :o

My current setup was build on top of "Smooth" profile and "One:One" template. I have TrackIR 5 with TrackClipPro, but I suppose it would work also on the reflective type clip. Never tested it though.

Motion control:

Speed: 0,6

Smooth: 10

It reduces view jerking and wobbling almost completely, while preserving full sensitivity and linearity of view control. This way I can move a little, when I feel uncomfortable or numb during long flights, while the view is well oriented and still all the time.

TrueView:

Checked (ON). Sets up all axis' with regards to current head position and rotation, rather than airframe. The result is that the virtual head moves exactly as the real one. Lean forward is always lean to where you're currently looking, not towards the aircraft nose.

Axis:

Yaw, Pitch: all points set to Y coordinate 12,0. The idea was to have virtual head completely turn the other way (180O in horizontal and 90O+ in vertical), while looking at the screen with eyeballs about 70% from center (100% being the corner of an eye), to improve watching comfort and lessen loads put on muscles commanding eyes' movement.

Roll: all points set to Y coordinate 0,0. X-Plane doesn't model it anyway, but I have disabled this axis completely, because it was highly disorienting in other sims.

X, Y, Z: all points set to Y coordinate 2,0. No kidding, it works! The idea was to have virtual head still inside the cockpit, regardless of how far I would lean from my chair. This setting further stabilises the view and cuts on unwanted and disorienting mowements. Still, it's really enough setting to lean to the small gauges or around nose or canopy frame, in order to look for that bandit or runway. I can fly most of the aircraft from copilot's seat, if I lean a little more :o

Camera (tab):

Video Processing Mode: Precision. The name says it all :o

This setup is so effective, that I've stopped using Pilot View plugin and moved onto native X-Plane TrackIR support, which I thought to be "unserviceable". It turned out, that it was my poor setup, that was the culprit.

Also I have dedicated one joystick button to "center view" function, via profiler software. I look around much and sometimes TrackIR goes lost :o Another two buttons are set to "zoom in" and "zoom out", but I use them more and more seldom, since inventing this setup.

I LOVE 2D cockpits.  Only recently, because of the Sundowner, have I started flying with 3D.  I am still mostly in 2D mode.  I sure hope you developer/designer guys keep doing 2D as well as making 3D easier to use.

Bit of a sidetrack here, and apologies for bringing up the "other" sim.  I absolutely hated 2D panels, getting into flight sim only after FSX was released.  But then I purchased Digital Aviation's Fokker 70/100 and the 2D panel was sooooo well done, it quickly became my favorite tube to fly.  The panel was immersive (a word I would hardly ever use with 2D panels) and well-designed for flow so busy situations were easily handled as far as calling up the necessary panels and such.  It's crisp and super legible, something I am having a hard time finding in most 2D panels.  They put a lot of development hours into the panel.  Long story short: a well-designed, visually-appealing 2D panel can be extremely immersive and fun to fly--even for an avid 3D pit fan like myself.

The x737 seems awesome, I just can't get used to the panel.

Bit of a sidetrack here, and apologies for bringing up the "other" sim.  I absolutely hated 2D panels, getting into flight sim only after FSX was released.  But then I purchased Digital Aviation's Fokker 70/100 and the 2D panel was sooooo well done, it quickly became my favorite tube to fly.  The panel was immersive (a word I would hardly ever use with 2D panels) and well-designed for flow so busy situations were easily handled as far as calling up the necessary panels and such.  It's crisp and super legible, something I am having a hard time finding in most 2D panels.  They put a lot of development hours into the panel.  Long story short: a well-designed, visually-appealing 2D panel can be extremely immersive and fun to fly--even for an avid 3D pit fan like myself.

It is a fine piece of work and you can't beat the option of a "head-on" view of the overhead and pedestal panels.