X-Pilot 6th Fly-in and The First Skyhawk Cup

Lukasz

Andy has asked me to prepare the next fly-in. I've decided to change the formula a little bit and this time we'll have a race!

The rules are simple: everyone is to fly Cessna 172 Skyhawk, be it original default, the tuned performance one or a payware. There will be no prizes, because the goal is to have a good time and fun. If that idea picks up, however, we'll think of small prizes like custom repaints or else like that. Whatever the prize, the most important is a spirit of fun, friendly competition. I'll fly a "steward" aircraft along the pack to see how the things are going. The winner is the pilot who completes the whole track as the first one.

Also please, don't make your planes faster or else, don't tune them. Try to win by smart flying rather than having a whole racing stable under the hood. Each plane is to be carrying 250 lbs of payload, fuel at your discretion. We'll fly in a real weather as supplied by XSquawkbox, so you may want to log in earlier in order to check the weather and make needed arrangements.

Now, the track. You can see it on the attached screenshot, along with distances and courses between waypoints. Times were calculated for 100KTAS cruise speed, but this may vary during flight. Navigation method and use of autopilot is at your discretion, but you know, what I'd like to see there :)

The finish line is over the eastern threshold of TNCM runway. In case of other non-race traffic being on final approach from either side, you are supposed to fly south of the runway and crossing threshold's paralell extension will be considered as crossing the finish line. All waypoints are islands and in order to "check" them, you have to fly around each island, on the "outside" side - with regards to track geometry.

According to the fly-in poll, the race will start on Saturday 30th, at 1100Z. First we'll climb and assemble in a racing line and then we'll have a Reno style airstart.

Please reply to this post in order to state your wish to participate - we'll need at least two racers.

Also there is another thing, I'd like to bring to discussion. Previous fly-ins had only from 3 to 1 pilot(s) participating. There was a poll set in order to have a fly-in at time, when the most people could join. Still, no go. That made me thinking, that maybe the fly-ins aren't neccessarily needed, maybe there is no desire at all, to have them organized. Or maybe there is another reason behind such situation. What do you think about it?

post-1467-131369593585_thumb.jpg

Or maybe there is another reason behind such situation. What do you think about it?

I'm all set up for flying with FSE and http://xfsd.ansorg-web.de/fsdmap/ , sometimes joining the sundays fly-inns, because no changes to my settings are needed. Some years ago I tried Ivao and Vatsim, I'll eventually do it again, but not today or in the near future. That's about the only reason. Otherwise I enjoy beeing online (all my flights, with some exceptions, are done on the xfsd flightserver) and seeing other pilots around me.

I would have love to participate in this one too, but unfortunately today I can't. I have missed a few fly ins and IMHO I think a monthly fly in would be more approachable. Sure everybody in this forum used XP, some more than others, and If build up the excitement for a while I think there could be a better response. Something to plan for. The way it's been for me is like this: sometimes I find out about the fly in just before or even after and there is no time for me to adjust my calendar, some other plans were made with more anticipation and can not be rescheduled. If the fly in were to be lets say the first saturday of every month we could probably recruit more participant, maybe even an ATC which would make the experience more enjoyable. Just a thought

Good point with monthly fly-in schedule. I was also thinking of getting ATC coverage, but for that to happen, first we should have a reasonable amount of participants. I would love to see our gatherings, as "official" Vatsim-scheduled X-Plane Fly-ins, in order to promote our simulator, but that's an idea for the future. We'll see, where that goes.

As to the theme of fly-ins, I was thinking of racing, exploring famous places and geographical landmarks, flying to rare, exotic and unknown locations, specific type of aircraft flights (f.e. warbirds fly-in), tight formation flights and others. What do you think about it? Any and all ideas are welcome!