Grid of strange squares appears in areas of sky

Chris Tweney

An irregular grid of squares appears in parts of the sky. Sometimes they're black, sometimes they're white (as shown). Changing aircraft doesn't make a difference. I've fiddled with a number of settings but all the changes I've made only move the squares around a bit. The screenshot was made with the settings at default. 

Machine specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, Mid-2015. 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 w/16 GB RAM. AMD Radeon R9 M370X w/2048 MB VRAM. 

Running XPlane 10.45 with SkyMAXX Pro v3.2.1 and Real Weather Connector. SkyMaxx reports I have 10862 MB of video RAM free (which seems really absurdly high) and 1466MB of system RAM free at the moment. 

The only thing that seems to make the squares go away is disabling either the Gizmo64 or the Pilotedge plugin. 

grid of squares.png

Have you fiddled with your video drivers at all on this system, or are they the standard Apple drivers?

I'm afraid the only other times I've seen something like this reported, it turned out to be a hardware issue with the video card. But corrupt or incorrect video drivers could also explain it.

You might also try reverting SkyMaxx Pro to default settings; perhaps some specific feature such as cloud shadows is triggering whatever the defect is.

• 4 months later...