DC-3 Rosinenbomber 1.2

7 Screenshots

About This File

This a livery for the LES Douglas DC3.

First of all i want to thank LES for their model, it's really one of my favorites.

A very good model like this inspires me (like others before). My intention was to make it look a little more like the real thing by adding the lines of joints and rivets, more or less accurate, like original aircraft (yes, maybe that's typical german …).

I also created normal-maps, made by using the try and error method and looking how it works. Just after work was done, i read here in the forums that there a plug-ins available to create them. But i think it works pretty well, so i'll leave them for now.

For the first try i chose the Berlin "Rosinenbomber" (which is already included in the models liveries pack) as i found a lot of pictures available on the web.

I tried to depict it most accurately to the original airplane (within the restrictions of the model and my skills) with it's dark silver paint covered all over, only the engine cowlings spared out in bare metal, it's black typeface and markings of emergency exits. With it's mostly plain livery it's just the joints and rivets (and the somewhat crumpled old surface) that characterize the appearance of the airplane much more than with a coloured one.

Leen de Jager's impressing liveries with special cockpits included, made me add specific cockpit and cabin liveries too.

The airplane was built in 1944 and served as an original "Rosinenbomber" in the Berlin Airlift, then flew under the registration G-AMPZ for various airlines in Britain, least Air Atlantique. From there it was transferred to Air Service Berlin where it was used for round trips.

The military green cockpit of the former C47 was painted all over in black, cockpit walls without coverings, panel and all the rest looking somewhat stuck together- it appears a bit dark and disorderly, but that's what the original looks like, concerning to the pictures available.

Unfortunately the plane had a crash landing in june 2011 after the crank shaft in the right engine broke shortly after take off. The crew succeeded in an emergency landing in a field nearby the new Berlin Schöneberg Airport construction site. Fortunately no one was seriously injured, but the plane was damaged and is being restored now. This takes more time and money as first estimated, but hopefully the airplane will fly for round trips over Berlin skies once again.

How to install:

Just unzip "D-CXXX Rosinenbomber" into a temp-folder an read the "_readme_first.pdf".

Hope you enjoy it.

Andreas

What's New in Version 1.2

Released

• (see full changelog)
  • revised Engine_LIT.files once more, after Leen and me had a detailed discussion on that with mutual exchange
  • of files and pictures. Thereby Leen found out, that the shine of light on the „pipe“ next to the engine was missing even in the original, while experimenting with my initial file. Therefrom reduced the intensity once more, changed the shape of the enlightened area and added the shine on the „pipe“.
  • – Thanks to Leen once again! and for the nice and inspiring discussion.
  • revised Fuselage_L.png: changed position of the USAF-roundel according to the real one (it isn‘t exactly opposite to the left one)

User Feedback

Recommended Comments