RAF Transport Command LES DC-3 1.1

9 Screenshots

About This File

This well maintained DC3 wears the elegant and noble colors of the RAF Transport Command. Originally formed in March of 1943 (Wikipedia) as a unit charged primarily with ferrying aircraft from the factories to the forward operations airbases of World War 2, then later taking over the harrowing task of dropping paratroopers into the fight, this unit was an integral part of the Allied forces war effort. Following WW2, the Transport Command expanded greatly and took part in a number of famous operations such as the Berlin Airlift, utilizing amongst other types, many DC3's designated as Dakotas in Great Britain and wearing these colors. The RAF Transport Command continued to fly with distinction in many historic operations throughout the world, flying millions of miles and visiting every continent save for Antarctica. In 1967 the unit was reduced and renamed the Air Support Command, which reflected a change in task to a more active combat role instead of the transportation of goods and humanitarian aid.

The RAF are renowned for taking great pride in their aircraft, so this DC3 is clean and well maintained. The cockpit is still indicative of a hard working DC3 of course. smile.png I've included a conversion for the prop disks to show yellow tips on the spinning props. Instruction are included as a PDF. The livery "RAF Transport Command" folder goes into the usual liveries location within your LES DC3 aircraft folder.

I hope you enjoy flying in the colors of the RAF Transport Command. Thanks!

What's New in Version 1.1

Released

• Added two new Normal Maps to add detail around the cargo doors and the wing walk.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Very fine paint!!

Please allow me to ask why you prefer to fly the bird without "backdoor"?

It really makes no sense (i.m.h.o.) , better have a faked one instead of missing one.

The only difference between a real one and a really good "faked" one is the fact the real one can be opened and the faked one only gives the suggestion of being ready to be opened.

As long as you are not "playing with doors" there is no difference.

Are you really interested in "opening doors", I am certainly not.

I prefer realistic looking models , instead of "Playmobil-doors".

I really prefer your paint with your interpretation of the " barn-type-door".

Cheers

Leen de Jager

It's not that I prefer this bird without the necessary cargo doors for an air transport plane, it's that I'm not fond of how it looks in the sim. No matter how much detail one lavishes on a 2-D representation of the doors, it's still just a flat image painted onto the side of the plane. The hinges are the main point of contention for me; also the slight overhang on some aircraft. The doors themselves wouldn't have to actually be cut out of the model and made so that they can open. Just a couple of 3-D hinges on the front part and the larger cargo door hinges at the back would make for a more accurate looking representation of this or any variant with this type of door.

What would really be fantastic in the future, is if the developers added an actual cargo plane variant to the mix, complete with a fully modeled "barn-door type" door at the back, with the passenger seats removed, and even a load of boxes with tie downs in the back. It would be some work, but well worth the effort. The role of the DC3 as a cargo carrier is one of it's most important. It would be truly awesome to have a cargo variant added to this already amazing virtual DC3. It would be perfect for my FS Economy flights, as I've been using this aircraft pretty much exclusively in that role ever since I got it.

Thanks for the compliments Leen. It's always good to chat with you. I've been in the midst of moving up until just recently so I apologize for not returning your e-mail. To answer some of the points you made in your message, I enjoy nothing more than to get under the skin of people such as those megalomaniacal curmudgeons who moderate that ORGanization. Now that X-aviation is allowing us to host files here I think we will finally see the power of that ORGanization within the X-Plane community begin to wane. I would even go so far as to suggest a sort of quiet revolution of sorts, whereby those of us who are able to develop work of professional quality stage a revolt against that other place and only make our files available here at X-pilot. "Vive la Revolution" :)

Cheers

Jeremy

I agree some real hinges would make it more real.

On the other hand , doors can be reproduced very well when making use of bumpmapping.

The same goes for the rivets.

Making all rivets in 3D would make mega-mb airplane , thats why we use bumpmapping for that part.

OK we cannot make huge hinges with bumpmapping (normalmapping) nevertheless there is no need for 2d painted doors to have a death-flat presentation.

doors.png

You see , almost real and I think real enough to make a model eyecatching.

The magic word is bumpmapping aka normalmapping.

Normal-files are excellent to regulate gloss too.

As you can see on the picture the matt-black walkways are glosless.

The rear-wheel-tyre is glosless while the rear-wheel-hub is glossy the same time.

Ohh I like normals.

Cheers

Leen

PS

To avoid misunderstanding:

I started publishing my paints here at X-Pilot "as well" NOT "instead of"

These particular doors of yours are just about perfect for giving the illusion of actual 3-D geometry. I knew that there was something different in the way you prepared the doors for this file. The bump mapping makes all the difference. It's a bit confusing though. I know how to create bump maps as well as normal maps for my 3D projects created in Cinema 4D, however I don't really get how they are made to work in X-plane. I know that X-plane uses a combined map for both the normals and the bump which is different than Cinema 4D which uses separate files for each.

Regards,

Jeremy

P.S. My statement before about publishing paints solely at X-Pilot was really just meant in jest. I have been publishing my work at both websites as well.