Thanks for your reply. I spent about 2-3 hours this morning, trying various scenarios, and found several things. I did delete the settings.dat file, but nothing changed.
1. A second problem surfaced during my trials... the cockpit screen would freeze at times, and would not respond or move to any key, switch or mouse. However, as with the blue screen, appropriate sounds can be heard, such as the throttle increasing, or inside vs. outside the plane.
2. I worked by changing the Visual Effects, Texture Quality and Anti-aliasing sliders in X-Plane.
3. I uninstalled Maxx FX, SMP and RWC, and then restarted by installing just SMP and RWC. No matter what settings I changed, or how high or low, there was never a bluescreen, or a frozen screen. Some losses of FPS rate at times, but still no screen problems.
4. I then re-added the Maxx FX installation, and tried many, many scenarios. The following is what appeared to surface: when Visual Effects is set to LESS than High (HDR), and Antialiasing is 2x or more, and a Maxx FX effect has been selected (ie., not Default)... then a problem occurs. If the scenario is to start X-Plane fresh, and an effect has previously been selected on Maxx FX, then the blue screen will occur. Disabling the plugin on the Plugin administrator will then let the program proceed normally. If X-Plane is started with Maxx FX on Default, the program goes normally... but if an effect is subsequently selected, the screen will either go blue, or will freeze. This seems to depend on whether Antialiasing is 2x or 4x or 8x, as to which occurs.
5. If Visual Effects is set to High (HDR) or greater, no problem ever occurs (other than losing FPS, obviously), no matter what any other rendering settings are selected, or whether a Maxx FX effect is selected.
Maybe this will help. Thanks!