Is it possible to run X-Plane off a USB thumbdrive?

GregK

So my DVDs are on their way from warmer climes and I'm wondering if it's kosher to install them onto a USB key for portability.  Anyone?

I'll be using XP9 on a re-purposed audio workstation G5 (DP2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256MB GPU) connected to a 48" monitor and what was ~$30k or so worth of audio conversion and monitors...a commercial pilot buddy laughed when he brought his old yoke over to use with the demo - we met at recording school 20ish years ago...and then he asked if he can come over and brush up on some instruments in return for some "lessons" (I'll be starting groundschool next month)

You may still be able to buy a USB key for V9.7 directly from Laminar.  Contact them through the support address at x-plane.com.  I assume you can install X-Plane to a USB jump drive if you have one large enough.  I have my X-Plane installs on external SSD drives.  You'll still need to use either a disc image of Disc 1 or use the USB key you purchase from X-Plane.