vonmarty

For Xplane 10.31

I have Navdata in the Xplane resources folder:
F:\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 10\Resources\GNS430\navdata

Aerosoft NavDataPro
AIRAC cycle    : 1405
Revision       : 1
Valid (from/to): 01/MAY/2014 - 28/MAY/2014

I seen two navdata downloads from Navigraph but they go into the Custom data folder:
F:\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 10\Custom Data

Question .. is there an updated navdata for the Resources\GNS430 folder?

Note: I have a Navigraph Navdata subscription.

As per http://www.x-plane.com/?article=x-plane-10-30-release-notes

Added new “Custom data” directories for updating navdata (new in beta 8):
X-Plane now has a folder “Custom Data” that is ignored by the X-Plane updater. Thus, updated navdata won’t cause annoying messages when updating X-Plane. If the earth_nav.dat, earth_fix.dat or earth_awy.dat are found in “Custom Data” they are used rather than the ones in Resources/default data/.
Likewise, if Airports.txt, ATS.txt, Navaids.txt, Waypoints.txt and Proc folder for the new GPS are found in Custom Data/GNS430/navdata they take precedence over Resources/GNS430/navdata
Lastly, the new GPS will try and read ALL airspace text files in openair/winpilot format it finds under Custom Data/GNS430/airspaces

This means, if you have the relevant files in Custom Data\GNS430\navdata, the Resources\GNS430 navdata will be ignored (ie:it is pointless to update it).

I assume that you have Navigraph FMS Data Manager installed. If not it makes updating easier bso I would suggest that you install it. Op;en the manager and click on "Addon Mappings". Then click on the "+Add" button, then "Please select an addon" which opens a list. Scroll to the bottom and X-Plane GNS430/530 is the last entry and select. It will then ask where to install, select X-Plane (your version) and it will install the data to x-plane\custom data\GNS430\navdata.

You can also add a second mapping to add the data to the Resources\GNS430\navdata folder.

Hope this helps

Edited by iandiss

"This means, if you have the relevant files in Custom Data\GNS430\navdata, the Resources\GNS430 navdata will be ignored (ie:it is pointless to update it)."

During normal Xplane usage is the data in the Resources folder needed and used?

I had read that the Resource folder is overwritten with new updated Xplane data on each Xplane update. Thus user data put there would be lost.

So, a Custom user folder was created which is ignored during Xplane updates ... thus user data would not be over written.

My question was .... is there newer data to replace the May 2014 cycle from Aerosoft that was put in the Resources folder there by Xplane 10.31 installer?

In other words .... has this data been updated by Xplane since May 2014 ?

Edited by vonmarty

"I assume that you have Navigraph FMS Data Manager installed."
No, for many years I have installed manually and still do.
Is the Navigraph Installer (exe file) used with the FMS data Manager or do they work indepently (e.g. could use just the FMS Data Manager) ?

"You can also add a second mapping to add the data to the Resources\GNS430\navdata folder."
Are you sure?

Now, when I scroll to the bottom of the Navigraph Navdata list I see a note about manually installing Xplane Navdata being required and not by the Navigraph Installer/FMS Data Manager.

How did you install it (with the current cycle).?

Maybe your folder still has older data now?

I do not see any thing about installing anything from Navigraph into the Xplane Resources folder.

Did you find anything on that??

Xplane-navigraph_zps949eaabf.jpg

Edited by vonmarty

The new GNS430/530 GPS's in X-Plane by default use the LR supplied cycle 1405 FMS data in X-Plane 10\Resources\GNS430.

LR, Aerosoft & Navigraph have arranged that any user updates should use the X-Plane 10\Custom Data\GNS430 folder, that way the GNS430 will always check that folder first and if it finds the GPS data there it will use that in preference to the default data. If on the other hand the user has not updated (i.e. has not used the Custom Data folder), the GPS will use the older data in Resources\GNS430. Also X-Plane SIM updates will not overwrite any user updates in Custom Data.

Currently AFAIK the most uptodate "data" supplied by LR in X-Plane 10.31 is:

Cycle 1310 XP data.

Cycle 1405 Aerosoft GNS430 FMS data.

Available from Aerosoft or Navigraph the user can update XP "Navdata" (that is only earth_awy.dat, earth_fix.dat & earth_nav.dat, and NOT any apt.dat file).

Also available from Aerosoft or Navigraph the user can update GNS430 FMS data to the latest 28day cycle.

cessna729.

Edited by cessna729