Best OSX setup (imac)

AT ONE SIR

Hi. I'm new here and getting back into simming after 14 years.  I am looking for fellow mac users (I have a new top end 21.5" imac) who can help me get the program and fun plugins/addons that I need most and that run well.  Generally looking for someone to help me get up to speed. Happy to arrange a quick skype call to save on some typing. My focus areas and primary needs are:

• maintaining best fps performance
  •  
  • install on external usb3 or not?
  • use ch yoke or logitech 3d stick?
  •  
  • best free plugins and addons
  • best scenery for select cities
  • best free planes and liveries (want Ed Force One and Air Force One to start)
  • best flight planing site and procedure
  • best tablet/phone apps to augment the experience (free or inexpensive)
  •  
  • best wiimote headtracking setup
  •  
  • fun people to fly with

happy flying.

Edited by AT ONE SIR

That is a rather long wish list … Free things are nice but you should give us more detail on which ‘selected cities’ (there is big world out there :) !).

Maintaining the best fps performance is a little subjective, not knowing which GPU you have. Free aircraft are usually not too hungry and don't eat up your VRAM.

FPS is a complex result of of adequate settings versus the hardware you and the aircraft and scenery combination you would like to use.

Air Force One is available as freeware as livery for the stock 747 that comes with X-Plane 10 on a another site.

For the other question the answer can only be given if you give a little bit more details.

You ask ch yoke or logitech 3d stick? I think you will never anger the purchase of a control system with pedals if you to fly helicopters or any aircraft more accurately and easily.  

Edited by kickremi

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the reply kickremi and sorry for not coming back here.. I use the x-plane forums usually.

For all the other OSX people out there, I have had great luck with wiping my install of x-plane clean now and again. Keep all your goodies on an external drive and just drag them over after cleaning things up.

The things you need to "reset" with your deleted prefs file are minimal, especially if you use a keymapper plugin like x-assign.

The two things that kill my FPS are x-plane clouds and scenery.  I'm using default mesh, just a few airports and reduced bitdepth of the cloud bitmaps.  This gives me anywhere from 30-70 fps while also running OBS on the same machine.  YMMV.