New Graphics Card

Charlie

I'm looking to buy a new graphics card for X-Plane 10. At the moment my specs are

intel i5-3570 @ 3.4GHZ

Nvidia Geforce gt 630, which is a real bottleneck.

I'm looking to spend up to $285USD which must include shipping to New Zealand.

I have been looking at the GTX 760 on Amazon but I was wondering if I could get decent peformance out of a GTX 750ti which I can afford from a New Zealand based shop (Computer components are really overpriced here, but I wouldn't have to wait for it to ship and I would have better customer support if anything went wrong). Do you think I will be worth the extra cost and time to get the GTX 760? Or am I looking at the complete wrong card all together?

I own a gtx 760 4gb and it runs XP10 really well (of course not EVERYTHING cranked up...) with a i7 2600@4.3. I would strongly recommend a 3gb or 4gb card.

If you can afford it - go for it.

A 750ti would still be a huge step up from a gt 630, though. And run XP10 just fine.

Cheers

Flo

Edited by FloB

I own a gtx 760 4gb and it runs XP10 really well (of course not EVERYTHING cranked up...) with a i7 2600@4.3. I would strongly recommend a 3gb or 4gb card.

If you can afford it - go for it.

A 750ti would still be a huge step up from a gt 630, though. And run XP10 just fine.

Do you think it would be better to buy a 4gb 760 or a 2gb 770?

Do you think it would be better to buy a 4gb 760 or a 2gb 770?

- If you're planning on using a LOT of Orthophoto scenery, then yes, 4 Gb VRAM on the 760.

- If you want to use stock scenery, or just dial down the texure res a bit with orthophotos, but have a 25% faster card, then go for the 770.

Performance difference here:

770-vs-760.jpg

Hope this helps. FWIW - I use a 2 Gb VRAM GTX 670.. which is somewhere in between, and uses the same nVidia chip as the GTX 680/770 (GK104 chip) - and it's pretty awesome. I believe the 760 uses the same chip, just at lower performance. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

- CK.

p.s. there's been a few times I wish I had more VRAM when doing scenery development. Hard to have WED and XP10 open at the same time with a ton of orthophotos:

post-5973-0-43050400-1405420153_thumb.jp  post-5973-0-70250000-1405420163_thumb.jp

Edited by chris k