Flyjsim Dash 8 Q400 feature list request

FloB

As I've heard, it does have that X-Plane thing............about overdoing torque, which in fact requires lots of aileron trim, which in fact.............isn't all that real. Left pull on runway? Great! Use rudder to compensate. A want to left roll after takeoff, which requires throwing in the aileron trim, not so great.  Since it's now a verified fact, that X-Plane hasn't been able to compensate for some of the forces that counteract roll from torque...........it's now being worked on.

From the review:

" have flown the Dash 8 Q400 several times now and it handles really well. It realistically depicts the engine torque which will pull you over to the left as you run down the runway and as you climb out, forcing you to make corrections or adjust your aileron trim settings to compensate."

Earlier this year, torque or no torque became a passion of mine. I wasn't experiencing it in real life, after the takeoff roll, in which my left wheel was sometimes pushed towards the runway surface ( I called my little RV6A with a constant speed prop, a torque monster on touch and goes, where it was very evident.). So I spent weeks reading pilot reports, and talking to many pilots. One even flew the single engine Skyraider in Vietnam, which had the most horsepower ever for a single engine piston airplane. Around 2600 HP as I remember. Since he's been a flight instructor in the years since then, and owns a plane like I had...........I put out the question. I asked about aileron. "Wrong control" he says! "It's rudder, lots of right rudder!" 

I also ran this notion by another forum, our experimental builders forum. One response from one who flies an Air Tractor (crop duster) with a P&W turbine said that yes, the torque does exist. Then because I mentioned it, he really thought about it, his next time up. He replied back, that "torque" as it turns out, was just inconsequental. We do know that torque exists, it's just that the other forces counteract it. We shouldn't have to be throwing in a bunch of aileron trim. It causes drag. And when you pull back power, it will want to start rolling the opposite direction.

FloB,

I've got the Q400 and yes, it does come with APU and the stairs are modeled and controllable via a panel on the centre console.

What also comes modeled is a custom seating-load program where you can set pax/weight.  Systems are pretty intense, and things like wing icing are done, and the startup procedure has a number of stages, so I believe it's accurate.

I think it's the best of the 9.70 prop heavies.

Have a look at the manual for it, and you can see what it's got and what it hasn't.

Hope that helps.

FJS-Dash_8_Q400_Manual.zip

• 4 weeks later...

My big issue with it is lack of support from the developer. Some questions get answered while others just get ignored.

Also if you have a throttle quadrant good luck doing a cold start. You have resort to an odd setup to get it just right or the engines will refuse to spin up. You can just land on start feather zone. Both levers have to be on a very specific nonstandard spot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My big issue with it is lack of support from the developer. Some questions get answered while others just get ignored.

Also if you have a throttle quadrant good luck doing a cold start. You have resort to an odd setup to get it just right or the engines will refuse to spin up. You can just land on start feather zone. Both levers have to be on a very specific nonstandard spot.

I own the CH Throttle Quadrant, CH Flight Sim Joke and the pedals. And i never have problems with the engines. I set one axis to mixture. So when i begin the engine start, I first push the mixture to full and then the prop levers go until start and feather. Then you can control the prop with the assigned axis. On shutdown you pull the prop levers all the way back and then the mixture. And there you go, my engines are going out :D 

That's because Idle is not "all the way back" on the Q, else it'll put you into reverse thrust.

Although I don't use a quadrant, I use something vaguely similar, and I have never encountered engines refusing to spin up.

Always, always, always, make sure your throttle is about 40% of travel and the levers on the screen are in the Idle position. (They do "jump" into place as you move the handles near).

@swissCyul, I'm not sure, but I think we both "solved" it the same way. However, I find that approach to be a "hack". There is no mixture control in the Dash 8 that I see so why do we have to resort to this odd setup to make it work? in FS I owned two very complex Dash 8's and neither of them had this issue. Seems a design choice by the dev that I just don't feel is intuitive. For clarity, do you have the blue middle levers set to prop 1 and 2 and the red right levers set to mixture 1 and 2? That's what I did. For me, I have to get the prop levers (on screen versions) in just the right spot to make it work. The bottom of the levers need to just cover touch the top of the word "Feather" or it's a no-go. Oddly, I had no such issue before the throttle quadrant got added.

@nicola, for throttles, both are in the DISC setting and lock in there. 

Oh, while I have you two, do you know if there's a way to assign the Flight/Taxi button to physical a toggle on the quadrant? I'd love to flip it up for Flight and down for Taxi.

do you know if there's a way to assign the Flight/Taxi button to physical a toggle on the quadrant? I'd love to flip it up for Flight and down for Taxi.

I haven't found a way.  That damn Flight/Taxi button has a mind of its own.  It seems to be speed-dependent, and I find it comes on on its own most of the time.

@swissCyul, I'm not sure, but I think we both "solved" it the same way. However, I find that approach to be a "hack". There is no mixture control in the Dash 8 that I see so why do we have to resort to this odd setup to make it work? in FS I owned two very complex Dash 8's and neither of them had this issue. Seems a design choice by the dev that I just don't feel is intuitive. For clarity, do you have the blue middle levers set to prop 1 and 2 and the red right levers set to mixture 1 and 2? That's what I did. For me, I have to get the prop levers (on screen versions) in just the right spot to make it work. The bottom of the levers need to just cover touch the top of the word "Feather" or it's a no-go. Oddly, I had no such issue before the throttle quadrant got added.

I have the general mixture assigned to my Logitech Attack 3 Joystick. And for the Prop i have two blue levers set for 1 and 2. Another thing is the calibration. When the quadrant isn't calibrated right, the levers are off by a minimal but critical amount. 

Also since the newest Q400 update from January i had more problems with calibrating it correct so the levers work. I think FJS changed something in the Q's throttle control and i don't know what :D

@nicola, for throttles, both are in the DISC setting and lock in there. 

Oh, while I have you two, do you know if there's a way to assign the Flight/Taxi button to physical a toggle on the quadrant? I'd love to flip it up for Flight and down for Taxi.

I haven't found a way.  That damn Flight/Taxi button has a mind of its own.  It seems to be speed-dependent, and I find it comes on on its own most of the time.

The flight and Taxi button is not normally not being touched by the pilots. After engine start, the speed brakes go up. Then when you put the throttle over 12% the spoilers go down into flight mode for take off. You normally only use it after landing to switch them into taxi position. And another thing that is missing in the Q400. The throttle control lock doesn't work. You put it in real operation on after you start the engines to prevent going further then 12% while taxiing. Like this right now you have to always watch your engines %. 

Well i think FJS is right now kind of busy doing the B732 ;)

• 2 years later...

This is how I did it:

I have the Saitek Yoke and Throttle Quadrant, and an extra Throttle Quadrant. 

My levers are set to:

1. Speedbrakes (reverse)
  2. Throttle 1
  3. Throttle 2
  4. Prop 1
  5. Prop 2
  6. (none, I use a plugin that translates the full range of the lever to flaps detents in the plane)

My toggle switches at lever 4 and 5 are set to

4UP sim/starters/engage_starter_1
4DN sim/engines/mixture_max

5UP sim/starters/engage_starter_2
5DN sim/engines/mixture_min

To start my engines, I begin with pressing 4DN to set both prop levers to "START&FEATHER". I THEN turn both Ignition switches to NORM AND flip the Select switch to "2".  I can now start engine 2 by pressing 5UP,  and I haven't touched my throttle levers yet, they are at DISC. When engine 2 has stabilized, I flip the Select Switch to "1" and press 4UP to start engine 1, again without having to touch my throttle. 

To shut off the engines, I press 5DN

Edited by PeeWeeSweden