Need Advice On This Computer For X-Plane

jakubikb

Looking to possibly buy this today, and would like some of the pro opinions please, appreciate the help!    Lenovo - IdeaCentre Horizon 27" Portable Touch-Screen All-In-One Computer - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo---IdeaCentre-Horizon-27%26%2334%3B-Portable-Touch-Screen-All-In-One-Computer---6GB-Memory---1TB-Hard-Drive/9008234.p?skuId=9008234&id=1219013502543#tab=specifications

post-12436-0-45076600-1375477477_thumb.p

Edited by jakubikb

Generally I am against all-in-ones as they tend to be less powerful. However your model looks quite good. It is dual-core which is something - it wont run XPX as well as say a quad-core.

EDIT: Completely forgot to look at the price. It is fairly expensive for a computer - keeping in mind it is a touch screen.

I was able to purchase a $1050 desktop that has i5 quad core, 8 GB of RAM, and GTX 650 Ti 1 GB VRAM on newegg - a possible solution if you are able to build your own. (It was my first build! Fairly easy)

Edited by Orcair

For that price you could build a far superior DESKTOP PC.....I know pc building may seem intimidating and time consuming to many and lots of people think mobile pre-made options are smart, small, simple and cool!..BUT THEY ARE NOT!...and X-plane certainly wont gain much from using ANY such half baked mobile platform over a dedicated desktop PC.....Sorry if i sound so to the point and sharp!

All in ones usually use the cheapest components, 6GB of memory means nothing if its slow and cheap rubbish....plus 6 gig is NOTHING these days....the whole point of using a 64 gig software on windows or x-plane is to FULLY utilise  LOTS of memory....not just 6 gigs...think more memory is better!..Well up to 64 gig anyway!

In my honest opinion you will save yourself a lot of money and frustration by Not purchasing that system!..The Mobile GPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M is well known as a great GPU for what is expected of it in its MOBILE environment!....But for HUGELY demanding software like FSX or X-plane its really not up to the job unless you are happy lowering all your settings to the point XP10 looks more like XP9 or even lower!..

2 GIG Mobile GPU's  are nothing compared to a fully capable desktop pc card like a 2 gig GTX 670...or 680...and lets not even mention the latest Nvidia GTX 780!

But seriously mate....forget laptop/mobiles as a worthwhile investment when it comes to serious flight sims like XP10...Am on my 4th DESKTOP pc build..an old i7-920..oc @ 4.2ghz..and a Nvidia GTX 670 2gb GPU..and am using a 30 in 2560x1600 res monitor and already am seeing lots of potential issues that demand a better CPU/GPU combination to fully appreciate the awesomeness of XP10....Hopefully the future updates will address the performance issues of XP 10.21....Because i cant afford anymore upgrades for a long time yet!..BUT SERIOUSLY STAY AWAY FROM LAPTOPS AND MOBILES!..they may be great for a few things..But the VAST majority are rubbish at serious gaming!

If you have never built a computer before and don't know how to build i would recommend getting THIS but if you can build a pc or want to learn i would get THIS both of these systems should be able to run X-plane 10 and near max settings well running at 5760x1080 (trust me i've done that on less powerful systems then both of these)

For that price you could build a far superior DESKTOP PC.....I know pc building may seem intimidating and time consuming to many and lots of people think mobile pre-made options are smart, small, simple and cool!..BUT THEY ARE NOT!...and X-plane certainly wont gain much from using ANY such half baked mobile platform over a dedicated desktop PC.....Sorry if i sound so to the point and sharp!

All in ones usually use the cheapest components, 6GB of memory means nothing if its slow and cheap rubbish....plus 6 gig is NOTHING these days....the whole point of using a 64 gig software on windows or x-plane is to FULLY utilise  LOTS of memory....not just 6 gigs...think more memory is better!..Well up to 64 gig anyway!

In my honest opinion you will save yourself a lot of money and frustration by Not purchasing that system!..The Mobile GPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M is well known as a great GPU for what is expected of it in its MOBILE environment!....But for HUGELY demanding software like FSX or X-plane its really not up to the job unless you are happy lowering all your settings to the point XP10 looks more like XP9 or even lower!..

2 GIG Mobile GPU's  are nothing compared to a fully capable desktop pc card like a 2 gig GTX 670...or 680...and lets not even mention the latest Nvidia GTX 780!

But seriously mate....forget laptop/mobiles as a worthwhile investment when it comes to serious flight sims like XP10...Am on my 4th DESKTOP pc build..an old i7-920..oc @ 4.2ghz..and a Nvidia GTX 670 2gb GPU..and am using a 30 in 2560x1600 res monitor and already am seeing lots of potential issues that demand a better CPU/GPU combination to fully appreciate the awesomeness of XP10....Hopefully the future updates will address the performance issues of XP 10.21....Because i cant afford anymore upgrades for a long time yet!..BUT SERIOUSLY STAY AWAY FROM LAPTOPS AND MOBILES!..they may be great for a few things..But the VAST majority are rubbish at serious gaming

just to further prove your point 

X-plane 10 on my laptop

392163_134595260019118_560148832_n.jpg

X-plane 10 on my desktop

421628_134595356685775_45393502_n.jpg

30764_138093846335926_1434306658_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

what desktop do you have 

a HIGHLY modified Lenovo H450m which at the time had a intel i3 quad core processor @3.4GHZ a PNY Nvidia GTX 560 1tb hard drive and the stock motherboard and case however now it has a ASUS Nvidia GTX 670 a secondary WD Red 2TB hard drive and a rosewill blackhawk mid-atx gaming case

also it should be noted that i can typically run X-plane 10 with near max object settings with max global shadows and hdr rendering and still achieve 20-30fps even at mega resolutions of 5960X1080 (why yes i do have three 23IN 1920X1080 displays!)

Edited by mj12345

Looking to possibly buy this today, and would like some of the pro opinions please, appreciate the help!    Lenovo - IdeaCentre Horizon 27" Portable Touch-Screen All-In-One Computer - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo---IdeaCentre-Horizon-27%26%2334%3B-Portable-Touch-Screen-All-In-One-Computer---6GB-Memory---1TB-Hard-Drive/9008234.p?skuId=9008234&id=1219013502543#tab=specifications

Have a similar sized screen on mine. Mine's a 21" touchscreen Samsung windows 7.