WED start error

w9nwrwi

Seems like I cannot get to first base with WED 1.2b1.

Thought  I would give WED a try, get an error when trying to enter the scenery name from New Scenery.

Help appreciated,

Chuck

Edit:  well it looks like my screen shot is not going to appear, frustration is mounting.

The error is "unable to rename package:  Error 183 (unknown error)

Edited by w9nwrwi

Andyrooc,

OS is Win 7 64bit.  Trying WED 1.2b1 compiled may 2, 2012.  X-Plane path has been set. XPX 10.20 64bit.

From what I understand, I select NEW Scenery Package and Untitled 1 comes up, I click on it and attempt to rename it Jamestown.

That is when the error appears.

If I select Open Scenery Package then import of apt.dat goes well and I can select an airport of interest.

Just the New Scenry Package naming is the trouble.  Just being such a novice at this project I suppose I could work with small

airports and get a bit more familiar with it all. But, that error will still be around I suppose.

Chuck

Edit:  I think I might see what is going on Andy. I Went to the WED Wiki and ran their example. It looks like my method of naming might be the issue. I was typing Jamestown and probalby should be typing KJMS Jamestown, as their example works. Lets chalk it up to operator error. 

Thanks for your reply though...

Chuck

Edited by w9nwrwi

Looks like a simple work-around is to Just create the working directory in /Custom Scenery/ Manually via Windows Explorer / My Computer / DOS Prompt / Any Other Method first.

Ive actually never tried to use WED to actually create a directory in my /Custom Scenery/ in 2 years of using it. ;) Hah. If a bug exists in that part of the code, Im sure it escaped 99% of the beta testers; since I really don't think anyone actually ever used that "Create New Package" button.

I got it working now Chris, just a matter of putting the in ICAO code first, works for me.

I have a number of taxiways that are incorrect in quite a dramatic manner. Would it be better to inform Robin Peel about these or

should one attempt to fix them themselves.  WED looks pretty difficult to me and I am not sure I can handle a taxiway edit, or anything else in WED at this point. :wacko:

As an example: Take a look at KJMS here,   http://skyvector.com/airport/JMS/Jamestown-Regional-Airport and then look at it on the X-plane map.

Chuck

I have a number of taxiways that are incorrect in quite a dramatic manner.

Sounds like Nobody updated them in the last 5 years.

Would it be better to inform Robin Peel about these

Robin Peel does not fix taxiways - He collects edits form end-users.

or should one attempt to fix them themselves. 

Bingo.

WED looks pretty difficult to me and I am not sure I can handle a taxiway edit, or anything else in WED at this point.

WED is quite easy if you give it 20 minutes of your attention. You don't learn photoshop in 5 minutes either... nor how to fly an airplane. ;)

http://www.x-plane.com/support/manuals/wed/#usingtheworldeditorinterface

Give it 20 minutes - And dont make a new airport - just load in the existing KJMS instead, and just edit it... that'll save you 90% of the work.