settings file corrupt

kristjank

Hi,

Xp10 (latest non-beta, 10.11 I think) suddenly refuses to load and says my settings file is corrupt and I should reinstall x-plane.

There must be a way to fix that without going through a complete install again, right?

I have tried removing the resources/settings.txt file, that did not work, so I removed it and ran the updater and it downloaded a new settings file for me but I still get the same message.

can anyone please help?

(I'm quite anxious trying out the jetstream, very frustrating timing)

best thanks,

Kristján

resources/settings.txt

Nope. do NOT delete that file. That file says (if you open it):

A1000SETTINGS##################################################################################                    S T O P ! ! !##    This is X-Plane 10's settings file.  This is NOT your preferences.  You#    should not edit this file, delete it, or modify it in any way or X-Plane#    may stop working.  If you do accidentally touch this file, simply re-run#    the updater to get a new clean file.  Your preferences are in#    Output/preferences.##    This file contains low level tuning for X-Plane's rendering engine; it#    is set up by Laminar Research before X-Plane ships.  Please close this#    file now!!

You want to delete

/Output/Preferences/

- CK.

the whole preferenced directory?

tried that, didn't work.

the error dialog says, and looks like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

your settings config file is corrupted; please re-install X-Plane to fix this.

Unknown data ref.

Resoursces/settings.txt

(REN_settings.cpp:229)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

best thanks,

Kristjan

Ok I solved this!

here's what in case someone runs into the same thing.

I had installed a beta, and then downgraded again which left the 32bit exe still in the directory, and out of habit I was trying to run that file instead of the other one, which is the 32bit non beta exe (but without 32bit in the filename).