Blurred Ground Textures

jzeitlin

1. Antriscopic Filtering: Change to "16x" - AF Filtering is very cheap to do on a Graphics card these days. (i.e. doent cause any huge performance penalty).

2. Increase your 'Texture resolution" 1 notch higher. I.e. go from "normal" to "high", or "high" to "very high".

3. Install the replacement runway textures which are 4 X the standard resolution: http://forums.x-plan...&showfile=16270

4. Do *ALL* of the above. =)

- CK.

EDIT: Quick snap of what I see: post-5973-0-96523100-1353708997_thumb.jp Although JPEG Compression is blurring things... but you get the idea.

Edited by chris k

• 2 months later...

Hi X-Pilots.

I haven't found a topic that matches exactly what i want to know, but this is the closer one.

Does anyone knows about runway shaders? I mean, when its rainning, looks like there is no shader applied to the runway, so its hard to say if it is wet or dry. Tried to max some settings including airport, but no luck. 
By the way i did the tests using custom weather and runway wet.

1. Antriscopic Filtering: Change to "16x" - AF Filtering is very cheap to do on a Graphics card these days. (i.e. doent cause any huge performance penalty).

2. Increase your 'Texture resolution" 1 notch higher. I.e. go from "normal" to "high", or "high" to "very high".

3. Install the replacement runway textures which are 4 X the standard resolution: http://forums.x-plan...&showfile=16270

4. Do *ALL* of the above. =)

- CK.

EDIT: Quick snap of what I see: attachicon.gif16xaf-veryhightex-fjsasphalt.jpg Although JPEG Compression is blurring things... but you get the idea.

Chris k, please,

These textures look very nice. Do you know somewhere else i can download the textures, besides the Org website?

A mod there was harassing me and he gave me a suspension, i wasn't aware of the suspension, just couldn't use the site, so i made a new account to check the site (and try to understand why i wasn't able to check the site anymore), but well, same PC, 2 accounts, got banned.  :angry:

Just noticed it was a suspension later when i checked my e-mail.  :(

X-plane does not apply "shinyness" to runways (yet). however, I wouldnt put it past them to add that - as it's an easy addition i.e. using normal/reflection maps, which are allowed under XP10 for draped polygons.

but hey; whatever. Lemme know if you need it - i'll PM you the .ZIp file

- CK.

Edited by chris k

X-plane does not apply "shinyness" to runways (yet). however, I wouldnt put it past them to add that - as it's an easy addition i.e. using normal/reflection maps, which are allowed under XP10 for draped polygons.

but hey; whatever. Lemme know if you need it - i'll PM you the .ZIp file

- CK.

Hm....

Now i get it!

Thanks for the info!!! I wasn't sure if it was something regarding my config, or it was like that by default. I know this happens on FSX, but also wasn't sure if it happens by default or if was something due to my addons (i have a lot). So i was obviously looking for them, i guess im trying to get to XP10 what i miss from FSX. Since i started flying on XP10 i enjoyed it a lot, felt like a completely different flying experience, so now i guess im just looking for some eye candy.  :D

I'll bug some people I know to toss that in as a feature request. As I said, in theory it should be possible to do.... Assuming the runway rendering code path is the same for other draped poly's.

Thanks!!! I hope someone do it.

I don't have a clue on how to do it yet. I hope its something simple, something to apply the shaders on the runway textures

The ability to iverrude xplanes runway draping texture rules is not user accessible in any way as it currently stands..... Otherwise I would have done it by now. ;).

FlyJsim's textures require you to muck about with xplane internal files - which although it works - is contrary to the "library element" philosophy that Ben is pushing for 3rdparty scenery developers.

That portion of the code / rule set is still "locked in" hardcoded at the moment.

The ability to iverrude xplanes runway draping texture rules is not user accessible in any way as it currently stands..... Otherwise I would have done it by now. ;).

FlyJsim's textures require you to muck about with xplane internal files - which although it works - is contrary to the "library element" philosophy that Ben is pushing for 3rdparty scenery developers.

That portion of the code / rule set is still "locked in" hardcoded at the moment.

Hate when i read something like this.

Remembers me of last year when i was doing some mods to F1 2012, a lot of people asking for a lot of mods, but some of the best changes that i want it done were hardcoded, so no mods :(

I don't know if Laminar plans to add this in a newer version of XP10, i hope they do.  

I don't have a good knowledge about this, but maybe something that makes it hard is the "non uniform" wet runway. Probably for a uniform wet runway its not so hard to apply the shaders (just what i believe), but since there is a "non uniform" wet profile, maybe things get harder, won't be just applied over all the texture, but thats only what i believe.

Today i think i'll follow an X-Plane wiki topic... Airport Customization. Start my dev learning curve in there, time to get WED and see if i can do something, i love that Laminar made their own program for scenery development, with some good information and a software made by their own, just awesome.