View resetting in the VC

Modelskinny

Hi All

I installed X-plane on my rig last night and had a few questions, I am a long time MSFSer so forgive me if they are basic questions:

1) I like to jump around in views, inside, outside, chase-cam.  Whenever I return to the VC the view seems to reset to the default perspective and zoom level, is there anyway to fix the view in the VC so I don't have to re-adjust it when I come back in?

2)  Can you change the screen refresh rate, I am asking b/c I have a triplehead 2 go, and would like to run at 5040 x 1050, but this requires a refresh rate of 57-59 Mhz, not 60. 

Thanks

Until some of the other folks get a chance to answer, I will take a stab at #2. The only setting within X-Plane for refresh rate is the setting that can limit the frame rate to the screen refresh rate, half that rate, or no limit at all. V-Sync in other words. The refresh rate is going to be handled by the system settings outside of X-Plane. I'm a Mac guy myself, but if I were you, I'd poke around the advanced options in the display settings in your control panel.

Thanks for your answer

I was thinking there must be some sort of control from x-plane or perhaps in some OpenGL driver somewhere, other selectable resolutions offer different refresh rates. 

As for my first problem it is no longer an issue, now that i have track IR working.

On the whole I am very please with how my x-plane setup is evolving

Basically, X-Plane does not concern itself with the refresh rate of the hardware. That's the business of your monitor and video card. X-Plane just sends as many frames per second as it can churn out. The only thing you can do is make it limit frames to your display, but this is never relevant for me since I keep trying to get every last ounce of graphics beauty I can out of my computer, such that my frame rate hangs around 25-30 when at airports (it is much higher in the air). That, of course is much lower than the refresh rate of my screen.

A helpful tip is that you can have X-Plane output all kinds of information, including frame-rate. Go to Settings-->Data Input & Output. That will bring up a near-overwhelming selection of information that X-Plane could send out, and four different ways to output it. There are four master-switches, if you will, at the top of that window. The fourth is for "cockpit display." That is, it will show information on your screen. That checkbox is a master-switch that enables the fourth checkbox for each category in the main part of the window. If you want to see the frame rate X-Plane is managing at each given moment, then check the fourth box next to frame rate, which is the first one on the left. When you exit this screen, the frame rate will be displayed in the upper left corner of your screen, with a couple other bits of info.

One of those extras is the vis ratio. Ideally, it will report 1.000. What that says is that the sim is displaying 100% of the details that you have it set to display. If the frame rate drops below the minimum frame rate (default is 19 fps), then it will start dropping out visibility with fog until it reaches a load that the computer can render faster than the minimum frame rate. This is handled dynamically. If your frame rate dips, you will notices a sluggishness as the sim starts limiting visibility, then the frame rate will hang around the minimum but fluidly, and the vis ratio will say something like 0.500, which means you are seeing 50% visibility of what you set.

I often keep a close eye on these data so that I can try to get as much graphics quality as my computer will allow.