X-plane crash only when flying CRJ online.

johnatan

Hello,

I started flying online on IVAO using X-IvAp and ofc i would like to fly this incredible aircraft. But unfortunately when i start flying online X-Plane crashes after 5-10 minutes of flight. Says

X-Plane has hit an internal error:

bad_alloc

Please report this to Laminar Research.

(SIM_MAIN.CPP:779)

Log file attached.

Data:

- X-Plane 10.05r1

- lowest render options possible

- only 2 plugins: X-IvAp and PilotView. Nothing else.

- fresh X-Plane installation (reinstalled like 3-4 times trying to fix issue myself)

- only needed scenery installed (Europe only). No Airport scenery. Default autogen only with lowest settings.

- CRJ-200 ver 1.4.5

- Latest data files installed from Navigraph (Cycle 1208)

- Offline mode is OK, even though very laggy, but at least it's not crashing.

- During offline flying X-Plane eats about 800Mb RAM and 50% CPU. During online ~70% CPU and 1.5Gb RAM.

- ANY other aircraft is NOT crashing, not lagging, not eating so much memory nor CPU. Flying online or offline with default 747-400 or Cirrus TheJet eats around 800Mb RAM and 12-20% CPU with same or HIGH render settings.

PC data:

CPU: Intel i-7 860 @ 2.80Ghz no OC. Default.

RAM: 12Gb DDR3 PC3-10700

Video: GeForce GTS 450 1024Mb

Hopefully this can be fixed. I love the FMS system of this plane, it's so easy to use.

Log.txt

Edited by johnatan

bad alloc is just another word for X-Plane running out of memory.

You are hitting the limits of 32bit with your combination of scenery, AI traffic (or in this case, IVAO-provided traffic, but for memory it's the same) and our plane, which has a consuming model and textures.

As long as X-Plane 10 is available as 32bi only, your options are limited to either - flying with less displayed AI aircraft or flying with lowered texture settings, or just flying X-Plane 9 until X-Plane 10.20/64 is released.

Philipp

Ehm, it's never getting to 2Gb of memory used. Sometimes it crashes at 1.5Gb used, sometimes at 900Mb used.

I have default scenery, no custom scenery at all. Default aircraft only, CRJ-200 is the only one custom aircraft i have installed. Lowest possible settings. Really, there is a button in X-Plane render settings that says "put all settings to max speed", that's what i've done. I can't decrease the aircraft amount around me, as it's already at minimum. And i don't fly at busy areas where is a lot of aircrafts around (like Munich or Madrid). I fly around Alicante and Valencia.

I'm sure CRJ-200 is heavy textured and CPU required aircraft. It's just strange that it doesn't happen to anyone else, just me. Can fly online with default aircrafts almost on max settings and can't fly good one with lowest settings :( so sad

So i guess i have to get X-Plane 9 to enjoy this beauty.

Btw waiting your 777. Hopefully it will work better. :P

Whatever you measured when you say "it's never getting to 2Gb of memory used" - the fact that you get "bad_alloc" is a proof for an out-of-memory problem. Because std::bad_alloc is C++'s way of saying "I can't fulfill your memory request": http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/std/new/operator%20new/

Can you try what the effect of a lower number of AI aircraft is? This setting is NOT under Rendering settings, but under "Aircraft and Situations".

Philipp

I've put 01 in "number of aircraft" now. Well offline flight doesn't crash anyways. Still lagging. Online flight just crashed again. 1.3Gb of memory were used at that moment.

I guess a lot of people flies CRJ-200 online. How much memory do they have/use during flight? I guess it's X-Plane's problem that it cannot use more than 1.5Gb RAM. And x64 isn't expected anytime soon, as developers are somewhat sure that X-Plane never uses that much memory.

Tbh i can't imagine how 1 plane can eat up so much memory.. 900Mb really? 600Mb is used when i fly offline or when i fly online with default aircraft. No scenery, no custom objects, nothing in the air. Pure lowest settings X-Plane and CRJ-200. Could there be a memory leak somewhere?

Ok, i tried X-Plane 9 with CRJ-200. Flying ONLINE with medium graphics settings i have 10-15% CPU use and 600-700Mb memory use. So basically it's perfect.

Also, i'm pretty sure there is memory leak, but not sure if it's CRJ-200 itself or one of X-Plane 10's advanced features that CRJ uses. That probably means that x64 version of X-Plane 10 won't solve the problem, as the memory use will keep increasing till it eats up all the available memory. Maybe this should be reported to Laminar? But i don't know how to do it.

Anyways thank you for help. Passionately waiting for 777.

• 3 weeks later...