Minor RXP GTN 650 bug

Just taking the Sundowner v2.5 out for a spin and I'm liking it a lot. I'm about 10kts slower than the PoH numbers but that might be weight and weather related so I'm not worrying about that.

I have spotted an issues with the GTN 650 in the Original version (it might also be present in the G5 and G500 but I haven't properly tested those yet).

Even with the "Use Simulator GPS Commands" option for the 650 turned on the Home and Direct buttons on the bezel in the 3D cockpit aren't controlling the GPS. If you pop out the GPS into it's own window the buttons work but not in the cockpit.

Additionally I just tried and ILS 15 approach into EGBB using Nav 2 and the aftyer switching to CDI mode and select VOR2 Glidleslope on the Autopilot wasn't being detected and tracked (lateral guidance was working and the course indicator was showing the glide slope correctly) but it's entirely possible there was user error there so I need to test further.

3 hours ago, Matchstick said:

Even with the "Use Simulator GPS Commands" option for the 650 turned on the Home and Direct buttons on the bezel in the 3D cockpit aren't controlling the GPS. If you pop out the GPS into it's own window the buttons work but not in the cockpit.

Noted to be fixed.

3 hours ago, Matchstick said:

Additionally I just tried and ILS 15 approach into EGBB using Nav 2 and the aftyer switching to CDI mode and select VOR2 Glidleslope on the Autopilot wasn't being detected and tracked (lateral guidance was working and the course indicator was showing the glide slope correctly) but it's entirely possible there was user error there so I need to test further.

Might be a peculiarity of the Autopilot. You have to be below the glideslope and in ALT mode. Then press the APPR button and you should get both ALT and GS  indications. When the glideslope needle is about 1/3 above the center, you must press the ALT button. The ALT indication will go away and only the GS will be visible (regarding the vertical navigation). Then the aircraft will follow the GS to the ground.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ilias.tselios said:

Noted to be fixed.

Might be a peculiarity of the Autopilot. You have to be below the glideslope and in ALT mode. Then press the APPR button and you should get both ALT and GS  indications. When the glideslope needle is about 1/3 above the center, you must press the ALT button. The ALT indication will go away and only the GS will be visible (regarding the vertical navigation). Then the aircraft will follow the GS to the ground.

Cheers I'll give the ILS another try as soon as I get a chance

43 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Cheers I'll give the ILS another try as soon as I get a chance

Had a chance to retry the ILS approach and after double-checking I disabled ALT properly the AP followed the Glideslope so that one was user error, sorry.

I have spotted another possible issue with the GTN though - if the plane loads with the GTN 650 in the cockpit, the 650's NAV radio is disabled till I turn off the  650 in the menu switching to the default X-Plane GNS430 and then reload the GTN

4 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

I have spotted another possible issue with the GTN though - if the plane loads with the GTN 650 in the cockpit, the 650's NAV radio is disabled till I turn off the  650 in the menu switching to the default X-Plane GNS430 and then reload the GTN

Click the inner knob to go to nav freq mode, and turn on the volume. Then the NAV radio is powered. If that does not working, try to plug in the headset.

Might not be quite the right way, but because we support 3 different units, plus the audio simulation with the headset, it is a small trade off, to have everything working.

Btw, I've asked the author to add a couple datarefs, so I can know the state of various functions on the unit, but he was not willing to help. For example, when you go into nav freq mode, the volume knob controls the nav 1 volume, but after a few seconds returns to com mode. I have to track your clicks and run timers every time you click this knob to figure out what the volume knob is doing.

1 hour ago, ilias.tselios said:

Click the inner knob to go to nav freq mode, and turn on the volume. Then the NAV radio is powered. If that does not working, try to plug in the headset.

Might not be quite the right way, but because we support 3 different units, plus the audio simulation with the headset, it is a small trade off, to have everything working.

Btw, I've asked the author to add a couple datarefs, so I can know the state of various functions on the unit, but he was not willing to help. For example, when you go into nav freq mode, the volume knob controls the nav 1 volume, but after a few seconds returns to com mode. I have to track your clicks and run timers every time you click this knob to figure out what the volume knob is doing.

Thanks, that does the trick for NAV radio in the Original version.
Unfortunately in the G5 and G500 versions I'm seeing the flip side of the GTN 650 bezel control issues with the Home and Direct To buttons working but not the volume control even with the headphones plugged in but disabling and re-enabling the GTN 650 in the menu is a workaround for NAV.

38 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Thanks, that does the trick for NAV radio in the Original version.
Unfortunately in the G5 and G500 versions I'm seeing the flip side of the GTN 650 bezel control issues with the Home and Direct To buttons working but not the volume control even with the headphones plugged in but disabling and re-enabling the GTN 650 in the menu is a workaround for NAV.

I'll check what going on. Not hard to miss things with 4 sets of manipulators!