Visual approaches

I'm still not as smooth in hand flying the Challenger as I am with the Boeing.  

But my question is:  Can the FMC calculate/build a VNAV/LAV path to the runway as the airliners do for a runway with no published approaches?  I would think the answer is yes?  So, I select the runway from the box.  Do I need to "build" a point on the visual approach path to the runway?  And obviously I would need then to be in VNAV.  

What is the procedure for doing this in the Challenger?

2 hours ago, arrowspace90 said:

I'm still not as smooth in hand flying the Challenger as I am with the Boeing.  

But my question is:  Can the FMC calculate/build a VNAV/LAV path to the runway as the airliners do for a runway with no published approaches?  I would think the answer is yes?  So, I select the runway from the box.  Do I need to "build" a point on the visual approach path to the runway?  And obviously I would need then to be in VNAV.  

What is the procedure for doing this in the Challenger?

If I understand your question well, then the answer is yes.

I have done a few such visual approaches and it worked very well.

When selecting the RWY, it will offer you to specify a distance from the runway to trace; I usually put 5 or 10nm. This puts a vector line to the RWY at the specified distance on the NAV display. It also inserts a waypoint called RX (or TX, can't remember well right now) automatically at that distance.

I then fly it in VNAV, and LNAV to that automatically inserted waypoint, setting the ALT to the RWY threshold ALT + 100, and it works very well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by RonMont
Add precision

Thanks, yes the 737 has the same feature.  I will look for that runway extension box.  I was going into Las Vegas Henderson (after I read that all the Super Bowl bound private jets are going to park there.  They surprisingly have no approaches at all for their 2 south landing runways.  Odd, since they have terrain on 3 sides.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just did this on a really rainy approach really raining nothing on the radar screen but was pouring, I found out one issue with the challenger no wipers or forced air to clear the window at 120kts I still couldn't see  (thank goodness for the HUD) I didn't even know about the landing meter lol afraid to look at it..

• Like 1