High altitude Enroute charts

ChrisVon

I'm wanting to get into high altitude (above 18000 feet) IFR flight and I have a question about chart usage. I'm very familiar on the use and methods for IFR flying and navigation, but what I want to know is, if I'm flying with high Enroute charts, do I "swich over" to low Enroute once below 18000 feet. Part of the reason I ask, is because I was planning a flight with high altitude routes, then noticed that a fix that appears as part of an approach to an airport doesn't show up on the high altitude, but is present on the low Enroute chart. In other words, by navigating with low Enroute, I could set myself up with a fix that appears on BOTH the low Enroute and the approach plate.....this fix does not appear on the high Enroute for me to work into my planning.

If anyone can advise I'd appreciate it. If I need to clarifie, I can and show examples if necessary.

Very good question.  I haven't run into too many issues where I have to switch from high-alt to low route en-route charts, mostly because they are just for that: En-route navigation.  When it comes to arrivals and approaches, once you reach your last "en-route" fix, you switch over to the arrival/approach plate and follow that, skipping the low-alt chart.  For most arrivals, there will be an initial fix (might not be the FIRST fix) that will show up on both low and hi-alt charts, so aircraft arriving at different altitudes can filter in along the same path.

So to directly answer your question, NO you do not switch from hi-alt to low-altitude charts, just use your planning to go "direct" to the next fix on your arrival.  If you give me your plan of intended route, I can see what you're looking at too.

-Jeff

Very good question.  I haven't run into too many issues where I have to switch from high-alt to low route en-route charts, mostly because they are just for that: En-route navigation.  When it comes to arrivals and approaches, once you reach your last "en-route" fix, you switch over to the arrival/approach plate and follow that, skipping the low-alt chart.  For most arrivals, there will be an initial fix (might not be the FIRST fix) that will show up on both low and hi-alt charts, so aircraft arriving at different altitudes can filter in along the same path.

So to directly answer your question, NO you do not switch from hi-alt to low-altitude charts, just use your planning to go "direct" to the next fix on your arrival.  If you give me your plan of intended route, I can see what you're looking at too.

-Jeff

I appreciate it. It's actually the ending so it will be very short, so won't be too long to explain. It would be finalizing on the H07 high alt Enroute chart, towards the top near Baton Rouge, west bound on the J590. After flying over the BTR VOR, I COULD keep on the J590 OR turn on the R211 to CLYNT intersection to prep for the IAF at the ACADI NDB for the ILS RWY 34 instrument approach to New Iberia (KARA). But CLYNT is not in the high alt Enroute chart. It IS on the low Enroute, along with ROSEY and LULEW, which are also depicted on the other approach plates for New Iberia.

I know that ATC will also have a part in my approach with possible vectoring and such, but in the event that they are unable to for whatever reason, and they allow me to fly as my plan was filed, would my logic be sound in doing what I described above, or would there be a problem with filing with the following, ".....J590 BTR CLYNT ACADI", since CLYNT is not on the High Alt Enroute chart? Or could I bypass CLYNT all together and go straight to the NDB ((since CLYNT is used for the missed approach?).

Also, I obviously know that my desire for an ILS for RWY 34 will only be feasible due to the airport traffic / winds, and picking the runway is out of my control.

Thanks in advance!

Okay I see what's going on.  The only reason CLYNT is on your approach plate is to define the hold on the missed approach procedure.  If you are using a NACO chart, at the bottom it tells you to climb straight ahead to 800msl, then a climbing right turn to 080 and 2000msl to join the R114 radial from LFT and then enter the hold.  For your flight plan, check out the top of the plate where it lists Lafayette VORTAC (15.7 DME on the 152 radial).  That is indicating that non-radar arriving traffic are to first go to LFT, then to the ACADI NDB and enter the hold.  In this case you would do a parallel entry as your procedure turn and turn inbound.

So what I would do is this:

J590

to BTR

Direct LFT (MEA 3000)

Direct ACADI (MEA 3000)

1 min left-hand hold at ACADI and descend to 1700.

As you can see, you do not need the low-chart for this procedure, as most IAPs will be able to be started from either the low or high-alt charts.  Hope that helps, and let me know if you need any clarification...

Cleared for the ILS 34 KARA when established inbound.

Okay I see what's going on.  The only reason CLYNT is on your approach plate is to define the hold on the missed approach procedure.  If you are using a NACO chart, at the bottom it tells you to climb straight ahead to 800msl, then a climbing right turn to 080 and 2000msl to join the R114 radial from LFT and then enter the hold.  For your flight plan, check out the top of the plate where it lists Lafayette VORTAC (15.7 DME on the 152 radial).  That is indicating that non-radar arriving traffic are to first go to LFT, then to the ACADI NDB and enter the hold.  In this case you would do a parallel entry as your procedure turn and turn inbound.

So what I would do is this:

J590

to BTR

Direct LFT (MEA 3000)

Direct ACADI (MEA 3000)

1 min left-hand hold at ACADI and descend to 1700.

As you can see, you do not need the low-chart for this procedure, as most IAPs will be able to be started from either the low or high-alt charts.  Hope that helps, and let me know if you need any clarification...

Cleared for the ILS 34 KARA when established inbound.

OK, I was under the impression that you couldn't use the LFT VOR because it didn't have the heavy bold dark line as the actual approach Segments did. I appreciate the help, and again, thanks!

Chris