Precision Modeling in Blender

gilbenl

Hey all-

I had mentioned in my last post that my next tutorial would cover setting scale in Blender. Well, as I checked my facts, I came across the following link:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.burke2/precision_modelling1.html

This clearly has all of the information one would ever need on this subject, as well as detailed instructions and examples on thier implementation. Therefore, I will simply pass on the link, and wait patiently for any specific questions y'all might have.

Anyone who considers themselves (or strives to be) a "pro" level modeler should read the majority of this book because, quite frankly, XP is changing. No longer do "accurate-looking" models engender the praise they used to. Try measuring your work, and prepare to be dismayed. BUT FEAR NOT! If you do this FROM THE BEGINNING, it actually makes modeling MUCH easier (particularly with VC's) as it will take the guess work out of how big a knob should be.

Where does one find such dimensions? Well, think outside of the box! There are groups of people who build full-size replica cockpits for home use, and they subsequently publish these dimensions in surprising detail. Here's just one example of the information that's out there:

http://www.markuspilot.com/B737info/B737info.htm

All those measurements just make me so happy!

Now does this mean to have a good VC one must measure EVERYTHING? Heck no! In fact, with a few exceptions, this is down-right impossible. That being said, if you are able to get the measurements on a few items, you can scale and relate all other objects to the known. For example, all modern boeing panels (Comm, Nav, etc) are all 150 mm wide. That tiny detail can help immensely. How do you do that, you ask? Well, take the 737NG pedestal (pretend like you don't have the link above). You know that each "slot" for an item is 150mm wide, and you know that there are 3 columns of slots on the pedestal. 3X150=what class...450! Now, the pedestal is in fact 455mm wide, but once you build the sides, you'll end up with something about 453mm...THIS is close enough when you don't have explicit data. It's up to you what your margin of error is on this. I try not to be more than 5-10 mm off depending on the object, but so long as you're not INCHES off (25.4mm per inch, for us standard measure people), it is unlikely people will notice. Anyway, the point is, the data is out there. It's up to the intellect and SKILL of the author to extrapolate it, and come up with the appropriate dimensions.

Enjoy the new bed time reading!

-Nick

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for linking to this document.  I am completely new to 3d modeling (though I was pretty good in my drafting class in high school a long long time ago), but alas the plane I wish to fly has never been built for X-Plane.  It exists in MSFS, but not to my standards.  So that means I must learn to make it myself!  I've been working through this tutorial and it's extremely good.  I don't quite always know what I'm doing, but the instructions are easy enough to follow and I can see the results of the actions I take.  Blender is much easier to use than GMAX, and this guide is quite handy for newbies like myself.

• Upvote 1