X-Plane Updater put me in Demo mode....

JeffLeh

Hello everyone,

I lost my X-Plane cloud files so went into X-Plane updater and updated just the files that were lost and they did but I ran into another issue....

I rebooted X-Plane and now I am in "Demo" mode and need a license key. I purchased my X-Plane through Steam and tried going back into the updater to re-update and it still puts me in Demo mode. All my files are still in my computer but will only run in demo mode. When I run X-Plane, I still have all my add-ons but it flashes up if I have disk "1" add it now or go to X-Plane to download the full version. I download through Steam so I don't have a disk. I also looked in my files and went to delete the demo mode, its not even there to delete.

I searched my steam account and there is not product key. As far as I remember and have researched, no product or registration was needed. Just my conformation of the order. Any suggestions on who to contact or has anyone else had this issue? Steam has an international number or X-Plane to contact. I do not want to re-download X-plane again...I have 2 years worth of add-ons and many many hrs adding them.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by JeffLeh

Hello Jeff,

I wasn't aware about a 'demo mode' of the Steam version, which X-Plane updater are you talking about?

If you used the installer available on the x-plane.com site I strongly believe there's no other way than re-download the full installation from Steam, but of course I could be wrong.

Edited by AlfaMike
  • Upvote 1

I lost my cloud file when I was updating to HD clouds and something went wrong. I went to X-Planes site and it said you can run an updater if files went missing. I did that and it did re-load all the files but now a screen comes up and it says you can only use Demo mode or add a product key. I don't ever remember getting a product key through steam. I never delete emails and I found my conformation number but it wont work. I am just lost. I have hundreds of hours of add ons that I don't want to reload because with so many...I dont remember them all.

But that updater work only with the dvd version, that's the reason the sim now ask you for a product key (given only with the digital version sold by Laminar, different than the one sold by Steam) or the dvd1.

You shouldn't have lost your add-ons: do a backup of the Aircraft, Scenery Custom and Resources/plugins folders just to be sure, then if I'm not wrong and I recall correctly Steam should give you the chance to check your product and fix it if needed, there'd be an option by clicking somewhere with the right mouse button (sorry I can't be more precise as I don't use it).

• Upvote 1

No you have been a great help thank you! 

When you say back up... Can I just drag those folders to my desktop and then reinstall through steam and then put those files back into the new x-plane folders and overwrite? Will that work? 

If I do a back up now, it will back up the demo mode if I am correct.

You'll backup the demo version if you'll backup the whole installation, just do a copy of those three folders (well, maybe its better to backup the whole Resources folder, not only Resources/plugins, so you'll backup even your preferences) unless you changed even some system files (let's say, cloud and/or runways textures).

• Upvote 1

What I did was save all of those files in full. (and more just in case.) I dragged them to my desktop and I am downloading a new steam download of X-Plane. I assume I can then just drag and drop these folders right back into the new download and should be okay... Maybe? Your thoughts?

Thanks again for all your input.

Update: So far so good! I re downloaded X-Plane through steam and added the copied files; Aircraft, plug-ins and Scenery back in and not one error! Did not even have to pull out my licenses for anything.

Thanks again for all your responses. I will never do that again.....