End of the Martin Mars

Colin S

As a British Columbian, Mars Bomber has been part of my vocabulary for many years. I even got to see one in flight when I was younger. The era of the Martin Mars is over, and they are slowly retiring them to static display one by one. Like other iconic aircraft, there simply isn't the money to keep them going. These are the second largest flying boats ever built. The only bigger one didn't really "fly" per se. I got to see them parked at Sproat Lake on a trip to Tofino this past February, and their sheer size blew me away. Absolutely stunning. The tail was as tall as the surrounding old-growth forests. I wish one could go to my local museum, but there isn't even enough room on the property for the beast. One day I'll go to the museum where this beast sits with my kids and pull a "back in my day" with them. That will be strange. 

Anyways, this is quite interesting, and if anyone has $25000CAD lying around, do it. http://www.cheknews.ca/martin-mars-flight-can-25000-us-188734/

• Upvote 1