Real flying vs. simming

Lukasz

Would you go for a real pilot's license? Money and health are no factor, only will to do so.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go for a real pilot's license? Money and health are no factor, only will to do so.

• Yes, absolutely! I dream of it.
    • Maybe, but mostly out of curiosity.
    • Rather not, I'm not willing to take the effort and risks.
    • Absolutely not, I'm interested only in digital flying.

Recently I've read some interesting materials, as well as I had equally enlightening conversations with various individuals, more or less linked to aviation. The three polls I've started are direct results of these events and some thinking about it from my part. I'm really interested in these matters, so I ask for as much votes as possible :D Thanks in advance.

Being of an ex military background I was fortunate to spend a few years flying(not pilot) on the RAF fleet of C130 Hercules , Bristol Britannia, De Havilland Comet 4c, Vickers VC10 and actual time on the stick in the Chipmunk as PPL. Recently I spent time on the C130J simulator at RAF Lyneham in the UK. I have sat at the controls of a real Hercules sortie over Wales and can make comparisons to the sims behaviour in everything but the sensations of real flying,aka,  the stress and anticipation of really flying and the uephoria one gets! I've had over 900 flights and many hours in sims. Now,semi-retired I enjoy my home hobby and recently bought X-Plane 9 and look forward to the online community to add "some real de-facto"to the experience!  If I could afford it now I would certainly take up the PPL again! Alas I now spend my time on the home sim,but at least I can get up and stroll around or leave the sim for another day!lol  :D :D

I fly in X-Plane especially because I can't afford to fly for real. I have recently had the good fortune to make friends with a fellow who has been taking me up in a Cessna 150 to teach me to fly. I can't get hours logged this way, but I do get to satisfy my longing for real flight. I have discovered that this real experience is really improving my flying in the sim.

Would I still use X-Plane if I could fly for real as much as I wanted? Well...probably so!