KWVL Robert LaFleur Municipal Airport

5 Screenshots

About This File

The one thing we as XPlane users have in common...the one thing that unites us and brings us together is our love for aviation. I imagine, for many of us, that each individual could recall a specific place, an airport like this perhaps, where that spark, that passion for flight was ignited. For me, this is that place.

Back in the mid 70's my dad fueled DC-3's and Twin Otters (among other aircraft) at Robert LaFleur Municipal Airport to help him pay for his flight training. By the time I was a toddler, dad started taking me up in 172's and the rest is history! To say that I bear some familiarity and sentimentality to this small, unassuming GA airport would be an understatement, as I would continue to be my father's, "copilot," as the years passed by. In all actuality, there really isn't anything all that special about KWVL. The scenery isn't that spectacular in Central Maine, just woods and the nearby Belgrade Lakes, really. I suppose the most interesting thing about KWVL is the ILS for runway 5. Still, this place is special...for me at least, and I thought I would share my rendition of it with all of you.

Runway 5/23 is the long one with ILS. At 5500 ft and with MALSF on the 5 end, executive flights here with business jets are not a problem. The crosswind runway, 14/32 at 2300 x 60 ft is a fun challenge and has recently been resurfaced and reopened after an extensive period of being closed due to poor upkeep.

Since I don't do my own 3D modeling there are no custom buildings here to perfectly match their real world counterparts. Thus, this is a plausible representation of the field, though, I believe, it is as close as we can get with the resources available. I hope you enjoy KWVL. If nothing else, it will provide us with another place to fly in the great State of Maine!

Note: This airport looks best with, "runways follow terrain contours," turned ON.

Thanks to the following: Ben Supnik, Brian Godwin, Walter Blenny (for those GORGEOUS horizontal fuel tanks), Jacques Brault (hangars and static airplanes), and the talented contributors to OpensceneryX.

• Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments