X-Plane 11 - IXEG 737-300 - Escaping Irma

Tom Stian

First I just wanna say that if you are hit by this storm or knowing someone who are, stay safe.

I did this flight 9 September 2017, from MUCM Camaguey to KNQX Key West Naval Air Station.

The weather was pretty badass for the takeoff. Wind was 18027G38KT (Runway 25). So pretty much direct crosswind. The crosswind limitations for the 733 is 35knots. And that is for a trained and skilled pilots. So not me :)

I did mess up a bit on takeoff.

First I got windshear. The belive the procedure for that is not to change any configuration (I did gear up). 
Second I did mess with the heading right after takeoff. I didn't account for the heavy drift due to the crosswind. So I though it was a bug then I engaged LNAV and A/P and the aircraft banked the to left, but the bug was me ;)

When reaching FL240 I hit a cell with heavy icing. I dont know how realistic x-plane is simulating this, but I was rapidly losing airspeed. Engaging wing and engine anti-ice was solving this issue.

On the approach to KNQX I decided to divert to KMIA Miami since I was unable to identify my runway for landing.

It was a rough but interesting flight.

Wind charts for the flight. You can clearly see the center of the storm.

mpB6OY1.png

Edited by Tom Stian
  • Upvote 2