When colors are dark and dull

Leen de Jager

When colors look dark and dull (downloadable instruction PDF)

star_off.pngstar_off.pngstar_off.pngstar_off.pngstar_off.png

When colors look dark and dull

I am painting aircraft-models for flightsim for many years now.

To be frank ,I did not expect to find much I did not already know.

Until some wheeks ago , when I started to make a repaint (Thai Royal Air Force) for the ATR 72-500 ( Aerosoft/McPhatstudios )

Not really a big deal , a white airplane with an emblem and a blue and gold cheatline.

The "white" happened to be the problem.

I tried,tried once again I really was going mad.

Even a complete pure white texture turned out to produce a greyish kinda thing.

I realised that had to come from the OBJ files.
An OBJ file can be opened with a text-editor so I did.

Ok I knew, a command line reading  ATTR_shiny_rat 1.00 gives us a plane with a bit of gloss, ATTR_shiny_rat 10.00 gives us even more.
We can fill in the value we like.

There are many different ATTR commands.

Among them is a special one  , ATTR_diffuse_RGB 0.00 (or other values)

This is the command which drove me mad.

In the OBJ  file for the front section of the fuselage I found this line , ATTR_diffuse_rgb 0.820  0.820  0.820

That was the explanation of the problem

ATTR_diffuse_rgb  1.00  1.00  1.00        means 100% of the color/bightness ( pure white is 255.255.255)

ATTR_diffuse_rgb  0.820  0.820  0.820  means less than 100%

0.820  is 18% less than 1.00  

As 255.255.255  is white  at 100% brightness  and 18% of 255 is 46 , the command ATTR_diffuse_rgb  0.820  0.820  0.820 reduces the brightness of the texture (all colors) with approx  46%

Thats all , I opened all OBJ files related to the fuselageparts and changed all  ATTR_diffuse_rgb  0.820  0.820  0.820 values into ATTR_diffuse_rgb  1.00  1.00  1.00  

I could also simply have inactivated all ATTR_diffuse_rgb commands by placing a   #   in front of them  ,  # ATTR_diffuse_rgb  0.820  0.820  0.820

An ATTR_diffuse_rgb 1.00 1.00  1.00 does not change a thing so we can forget about it.

Now I was able to have my bird in sparkling colors.
Ohh and yesssss, the default liveries , brand new and good looking too.
No need to say back-up all files first , however, its very unlikely you`ll ever want them back.

See the result , the front of the fuse displays the colors exactly the way they are on the texture, the rest of the fuse the suffers the ATTR_diffuse command.

( 3d modelers should not fiddle with color-values and leave that to the texture-artists )

Second screen shows the files involved, they are in the main objects folder.

Its only some minutes of work.  (the # will do nicely , just search for ATTR_diffuse_rbg 0.820)

Look at this all I wrote above as a  general explanation of what this command is about, I you are content with the ATR the way it is , do not do a thing.
My bird however will aways be a dark and dull one for you then.

No need to say ALL ATR72- liveries you have will benefit this operation.

Enjoy, 

Leen de Jager

colordif.jpg

atrlist.jpg

When colors look dark and dull.pdf

Edited by Leen de Jager
  • Upvote 1

To add something to blender users. When you add a material to an object, it starts with the default grey-ish one. The diffuse value is 0.800, or 80%. But that not all! If you click the color above the diffuse value, you will see that the RGB values are also at 0.800 (all of them). Exporting an object with these default settings, you will get ATTR_diffuse_rgb 0.640 0.640 0.640! This is because the diffuse value is a multiplier to RGB values. (0.800x0.800=0.640)

To get full bright colors (or ATTR_diffuse_rgb 1.000 1.000 1.000):

1. Set the diffuse value to full (1.000).

2. Set the RGB values to 1.000.

Another thing to notice is that the default specular value is 0.500 which is fine for a glossy fuselage. But if you are making an object that you do not want  to shine, set this value to 0.