Airport flattening and HD Mesh

Jose Almeida

Hi,

I've often noticed that small airports are misplaced by x-plane default scenery and, in some cases, I have replaced them with the help of orthophotos. I would have expected that with the airport in it's correct location one could turn off runways follow terrain contours, since the mesh would reproduce the right terrain elevation; especially when using HD Mesh, with it's higher resolution compared to the default one, there should be no problems with runways following terrain.

Helas, this does not happen in many cases, because x-plane artificially flattens the area where the default airport was located and that artificial flattening remains after airport relocation, even if we have HD Mesh. I could find several examples of this situation but there is one small airport in Portugal that I need to use frequently, which is badly misplaced by default and I relocated to the correct location; the ICAO code is LPCO. In this case the default airport sits on an artificial plateau that affects the apron of the relocated airport, hence I always turn off RFTC when I go there.

Regards,

José