Setting up multi monitors

lumbco

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 63 set up on my Windows 8.1 PC using two monitors.

I would like to set the system up to display the forward view on one monitor and the instrument panel on the other.

Is this possible?

The instruction manual chapter 9.3.1 does not give enough information to enable this setup.

• 1 month later...

Hi lumbco,

The short answer given your configuration is no. I tried for weeks to do the same, in hopes I could replicate a multi-window setup I was using across several monitors with FSX. As I see it, here are your options:

1. No additional hardware / both monitors running in identical resolution: Use the NVIDIA or Windows display utilities to configure both displays as one big display, rather than two. Then, in X-PX's rendering options, set XP to run in full screen. You'll need to play with the resolution to accommodate the very wide, but conventional height of the display area. Also, you will need to adjust the lateral field of view as your view area is wider now. Keeping a low field of view across two monitors will make everything seem very close. Note, this works best if both monitors support the same resolution. 

2. No additional hardware / dissimilar monitors: Use the Windows display configuration tool to allow windows to span both displays. The, run X-PX in NON-full screen mode, but stretch the window to cover you available display area. Again, adjust the resolution and field of view until it seems right.

Both of the above will give you somewhat what you are looking for. It will work best in 3D cockpit mode, and use of the arrow keys for moving the viewpoint up and down and the zoom to get a close up of the instrument you need to focus on. It's not perfect, but it is what it is.... as far as I can tell.

3. Additional hardware: Warning - this solution is supposed to work, but as of now, it is still a known bug in XPX 10.25: network as second PC and monitor using the instructions provided by X-PX. This will make one PC the Master and the other External Visuals." On the external visual computer select the panel view, zooming and panning until you have what you like. Then, on the Master, select forward view with no panel. That, theoretically should do it. HOWEVER, it doesn't work. As soon as you change the view on the Master, the external visual system copies the Master. I've looked everywhere, and this seems to be a known issue.

4. Get a product called X-Plane remote to run the instruments on a tablet. The free version  runs the airspeed and altimeter. The purchased version supports 6 gauges. This may be your best bet....

Hope it works...

Ralph