Boot Camp and Mac

john82088

Actually you will see considerably higher frame rates in Windows than OS X.

Get out. I run Win7/Win8 in VMWare Fusion VMs currently, although I've never tried to load XPlane (for obvious reasons). If it will actually run faster under Windows via Bootcamp on the same hardware, I'll wipe the VMs and dual boot.

Get out. I run Win7/Win8 in VMWare Fusion VMs currently, although I've never tried to load XPlane (for obvious reasons). If it will actually run faster under Windows via Bootcamp on the same hardware, I'll wipe the VMs and dual boot.

It's an issue of GPUs and drivers. Currently the fastest officially supported GPU is the 680 MX in the big iMacs. It's a good card, just a tick behind the 7950. Problem is, nVidia's OS X drivers are very young and, at them moment, don't even support instancing. This means you're going to have to turn your object settings way, way down to avoid killing fps.

The fastest supported cards in the Mac Pros is the three year-old 5870, which just doesn't have the horsepower for v10. You can do what I've done and put a PC GPU in your Mac (4GB SC 670 in my case) but then you run into the driver problem. Opening the x737 at KSEA with a lot of objects means 15 fps.

A PC 7950 (or the recently announced EVGA Mac 7950) may be a good card, as AMD's OS X drivers are much better than nVidia's, but Apple's support for the 7000-series cards are very new and I would wait for someone else to test it before dropping the $300-$500 for a 7950.

tl;dr: nVidia's OS X drivers are terrible, handicapping the big iMac and any high-end nVidia card. AMD's drivers are better, but support for the 7000-series cards is new.

edit: I run ME3 in a Parallels Windows 7 VM and it flies.

Edited by dpny