Switch cameras - simple way?

Bobback

Does anyone knows a way to switch cameras using only 1 button?

Comming from FSX this is something that's bothering me. Having a button for each camera is good, but when trying to configure my joystick its bad, a waste of buttons.

Since i use the same joystick (X52) for X-Plane, im trying to map the same functions to make it easier for me.

I really would love to use just 2 camera buttons, one to cycle some external views, the other to cycle the quick-look (num0-num9) views.

For now im using around 12 joystick buttons for this.

1 hat = num 1 - num 8. 

1 button = Num 0 (my default view on every aircraft, changed position of the 3D cockpit view to my liking) / Shifted = 3D command look

1 button = circle cam / Shifted = Tower view

So if anyone knows a way to change this, a simple way to change some views without having to map so many buttons. Please help!

Should put that in as a feature request.

BTW as per your prev suggestion - I have "shiny runways" kinda working now. It's not a perfect solution - needs some help from Ben, but I have sunlight reflections now working in a hacked up way.

Sorry about me being so dumb, but where exactly i should ask that as a feature?  :lol:

In FSX as i remember i could use 2 or 4 buttons to switch the cameras. It was something like:

1 button: Next view = - Cockpit > Outside (Circle) > Tower > Chase plane > Other chase cameras if available

1 button: Next view in category = Cycle 3D cockpit cameras. (Also cycle other cameras when outside the aircraft, but i used mainly on the 3D cockpit)

And if you want you could use 2 buttons as the same above, but instead of next, previous. That way was good because i was just using 2 buttons exactly as above.

X-Plane have a lot of views, but imho the only problem is the way to select them, too much buttons on the joystick. And i like to map all the buttons i can so i can avoid using the keyboard while flying.  :D

Great news about the runways! Looking forward to it, would love to see it working! It already looks much better with the new textures, but with reflection, thats another story, just awesome.

Thanks!!!!

Yeah - I know exactly what you're asking for.

quicklook_Next and quicklook_prev functions; (QL 0 through QL 9) - that should be straightforward for LR to add.

The  cycleviews_next and cycleviews_prev; which goes between 'w', shift-1 to shift-8 is a little more tricky

Stosser wrote a "CycleViews" Plugin which precisely did this: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=15665

- CK.

Great news about the runways! Looking forward to it, would love to see it working! It already looks much better with the new textures, but with reflection, thats another story, just awesome.

Yeah - it requires manual intervention right now (one needs to paint a special transparent POL over the runway) for it to work, but it's easy to do that in WED  at scenery creation time.

I'm in contact with Ben now to get the hooks implemented "system wide" to all runways; so that 3rd party guys like us can overlay/control this via a /Custom Scenery/ LIBRARY directive.

Here's some sample imagery with Taxiways:

post-5973-0-15200400-1360615770_thumb.jp    post-5973-0-87678500-1360615774_thumb.jp

- Ck.

Edited by chris k
  • Upvote 2

Yeah - I know exactly what you're asking for.

quicklook_Next and quicklook_prev functions; (QL 0 through QL 9) - that should be straightforward for LR to add.

The  cycleviews_next and cycleviews_prev; which goes between 'w', shift-1 to shift-8 is a little more tricky

Stosser wrote a "CycleViews" Plugin which precisely did this: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=15665

- CK.

Good to know that!

Thanks for the plugin, i already have it here, but it isn't installed. I haven't installed any plugins yet because im using only the 64bit version, so im not aware of what might work or don't.

I'll try the plugin!

About the cycle views between shift-1 to shift-8 shouldn't work the say way it works for the num0-num9?

I don't have a clue on how to create a plugin, never even read about it, but lets say, trying to "imagine" how it works, i think a simple way would be to just use one button that could be pressed and it follows:

Press it sends command =  shift+1 / press it again sends command = shift + 2. And another one for previous. Maybe the tricky part is that the plugin needs to be aware of your current view, so it doesn't start always with "w" or "shift+1", but it knows that you are on circle view (shift+4 if im not wrong) so next it will "press" shift+5 and prev will be shift+3.

Well, haven't even installed the plugin yet, maybe it already does something like this and trying to figure how to make one  :lol:

Yeah - it requires manual intervention right now (one needs to paint a special transparent POL over the runway) for it to work, but it's easy to do that in WED  at scenery creation time.

I'm in contact with Ben now to get the hooks implemented "system wide" to all runways; so that 3rd party guys like us can overlay/control this via a /Custom Scenery/ LIBRARY directive.

Here's some sample imagery with Taxiways:

attachicon.gif732_60.jpg    attachicon.gif732_62.jpg

- Ck.

Just installed WED today, i hope some day i can have 20% of your knowledge on scenery creation!!  :)

Its great to see that this is going forward, now with these screenshots i have big expectations. Looks awesome, its great on a dry surface, on wet surfaces i think it will look even better.

Thanks for sharing this images, awesome job!!!!! :D