3770K or 3770?

ChrisVon

Hi all!

I'm looking to build a system in the coming weeks / months, and have been eyeing the 3770K vs. the 3770. Please excuse my ignorance to this (it's been over a decade since I've scratch built a PC), but am I correct in assuming the "K" designation means that the processor can be overclocked? If so, do I fair better (cost wise anyway), getting the standard 3770 if I DON'T overclock (I've always been nervous about overclocking, and prefer not to), or does the "K" offer more spead than the 3770 without overclocking as well (or are there other features or performance enhancements that the "K" has over the 3770 in a non-overclocking environment?

Thank y'all for your time!

Chris

Yeah, that's why I was asking.....I had noticed a significant price difference between the two (at NewEgg), and wondered if I could put that difference towards something else.

SqrtOfNegOne, I noticed that in your signature, you mention something about Intel's "Haswell" chipsets. I hadn't heard of any developments with new chipsets (though as I mentioned in my first post, I've been out of the game for a while). What is their objective with that set (if you know), and when is it expected to be released (target quarter / year)? I might just wait till THAT comes out, so that the chipset I want drops in price upon it's release.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Chris

Haswell is the codename for Intel's next generation CPU architecture.  Along with new CPU architectures typically comes new chipsets for the motherboards built to accommodate the new CPUs.

In a nutshell, the design targets somewhat better performance per clock pulse, lower power consumption, and better integrated graphics.  (For you beer drinkers:  Tastes great, less filling!)

There is plenty to read out there about Haswell, but here are a few  articles to get you started.

Overclocking the 2nd and 3rd gen i7 chips are much easier and safer than 1st gen i7 and below. It is very safe to overclock. Now days you will have a very hard time destroying your CPU as they have an auto shutoff when the get close to vMax (max temp 100c).

I remember starting to overclocking in 2000, I had to use a windshield defrost repair kit and a exacto blade to unlock my AMD cpu. and then work with about 10 different settings to get a stable clock speed. As the years went by it became easier and easier. My q6600 was OCed to 3.4 ghz (6 settings to mess with), my i7 920 was at 4ghz for 5 years straight and is still running (4-5 settings to mess with). The i7 3770k has only 2 settings to get a stable overclock, CPU multiplier and Cpu Voltage.

I just put together my new system (3770k) and i have it on a 4.8ghz clock. The new Motherboards are designed with overclockers in mind now and can do the overclocking for you. (turbo boost) In fact, most mother boards, have presets that will change the clock speed and volts for you to get higher clock speeds. ie the Asrock Extreme6 has presets from 3.9 to 4.9 ghz.

My settings are CPU multiplier = 48 and Cpu Voltage = 1.32volts. this give me a 4.8 ghz stable clock for everyday use.

I would suggest an easy 4.6g ghz with a CpuM = 46 and cpuV= 1.3 volts 

Well worth the extra $30 bucks, to go from 3.6 to 4.6ghz. (easy and safe)

Below is a good source of info on the matter and the best place to do research.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Edited by AtomicFrawg

"The new Motherboards are designed with overclockers in mind now......" I didn't know that about the motherboards, but almost had the impressions that overclocking (today anyway)is no longer in the realm of the hard-core hacker. It was my impression way back when, that there were two types of users who were overclockers: Those that HAVE over-temped their processors, and those that will. Which is why I initially (as indicated by my earlier post) was somewhat gun-shy about the idea of overclocking. I might change my mind then and go for the "K". I just need to do my homework on it I guess.

Off topic a bit now, I noticed AtomicFrawg that you released scenery for 3R2 (Legros Memorial in South Louisiana), and that your location has you at KLFT. These are old stomping grounds for me, when I still flew (got my license in Abbeville in '97. I'm originally from Gueydan, but live in Youngsville now.

Overclocking is very simple now. I just would not limit myself for $30. 3.6 to 4.6 ghz will do wonders for your in game frames per second.

I would suggest the ASrock extreme6 mother board, the 3770k, and 16 gigs of 1866. (great value for the money)

Thats cool man, I go through youngsville on my way to work in New Iberia everyday. I try and avoid the Traffic of hwy 90.

I am starting my flight training next month along with joining EAA 1490 out of KARA. Which happens to be the next airport that I will be releasing. :D

Edited by AtomicFrawg