[CLOSED] Engines died mid flight

anthony_d

Evening all,

I've had two occasions now where both engines died on me mid flight.

I've reasonably sure that the cause of failure was zero/negative G's. However the cause of that was plane getting too close to the red band on the speed display in altitude hold mode. The plane pitched up to bleed speed (as explained on the pinned topic) then the flight director commanded a pitch down and then the engines quit.

Then I found I couldn't restart engines until around 10,000 feet.

So there's some questions:

1. Can the flight director command a negative G maneuver, or is there something else at play here?

2. Shouldn't a pitch up command due to unsafe speeds be alerted, or is this as it is in real life?

3. How do I restart engines mid flight? I did the following:

a. Startup the APU, open APU bleed valve and cross bleed

b. ECS cabin packs off.

c. Ignition on engine one, bring throttle from cut off to idle. (N2 speeds were around 27% anyway)

d. Nothing happened, so I rebooted Gizmo - as that worked the first time round but nothing continued to happen.

e. I carried out various combinations of the above in blind panic until around 10,000feet when I got the engines going again.

4. Are there any emergency procedures available to download for the CRJ?

So I got back to cruising altitude to see what whether this pitching would happen again. It certainly did, but this time easing off the throttle near the red band -10 knots brought stability back to my flight.

Edited by anthony_d

As said in the page 27 of the manual: "the maximum altitude for main engine starting using APU bleed air is 13,000 feet"

So it is normal you could only start the engines once you reached the 10,000 feet.

The way you did it was correct, but you should also press the Fuel pump option.

The CRJ emergency procedures are in the FCOM manuals, but I cannot provide them. I think is easy to find them in internet (at least the FCOM vol1)